Friday, January 3, 2014

Top 5 Books of 2013

Happy New Year, y'all!  I hope you had a great holiday!  In case you were wondering, no, I'm not dead, just a terrible blogger.  TERRIBLE.  I'll be honest: I haven't been particularly motivated to blog lately and as my pile of books to review grew ever higher, I became even more apathetic.  The month-long slog called The Name of the Rose didn't help matters either.  To be totally honest, I'm not really sure how much commitment I want to give blogging moving forward.  The past few months have been the first time I've ever had a full-time job since I started the blog, and between work and all of my other hobbies (like actually reading), it's been hard to find time and motivation to blog.  Going forward, I might stick more to mini-reviews and worry less about writing a certain number of posts per week.  So that's where I am.  Thank you ahead of time to anybody who still checks by.

In the meantime, books!  It's the beginning of a new year, so I figured I'd join the bandwagon and put up a list of my favorite books that I read in 2013 (not counting rereads), based on which ones I gave 5 stars to on Goodreads.

1. Kindred by Octavia Butler
2. Broken Harbor by Tana French (I never reviewed this, though I read it twice in 2013)
3. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
4. The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
5. Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Wow, I only gave five books a five star rating in 2013?  Picky, picky.  This list makes me laugh because it's so ridiculous.  In case you couldn't tell, I clearly give ratings based on how much I enjoy the book while reading it, not how good I think it is in any objective sense.  Insurgent cannot compete with any other book on this list, except maybe The Silver Linings Playbook, which can't really compete with the other three.  But the heart wants what it wants, I suppose, and I'd rather be honest about what I like than put together a list of so-called "classics" just because I feel like I should.

What about you?  Does anybody else feel a little embarrassed about the books on their Top (insert number here) Lists?

3 comments:

  1. I will be sad if you decide to leave blogging, but understandable. If you're not feeling it anymore, you shouldn't force yourself to do it.

    I had more books than you with 5 stars, but HP made up a number of them. I'm not embarrassed by the ones I picked. They're books I loved even if King is there twice (The Shining and Everything's Eventual are both GREAT) no regrets!

    Also, you read Broken Harbor twice? I really need to read some French

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good and diverse list. I'm also impressed that you were able to narrow it down to only your top 5 books. Mine always starts out with Top Ten, but then I break a few titles out by genre and give some honorable mentions, too.

    FWIW, I get the not "feeling" the blog desire. I hope for my sake that you keep it up, but sometimes something like tht just runs its course and it's silly to force it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lists usually get overly long too but sticking with the whole unmotivated theme, I only listed the books that I gave 5-star ratings to in 2013 - easy-peasy!

      Delete