Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving Weekend

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!  I'm a few days late on this but I was obviously too busy cooking and gorging on Thursday to post then!  I had a nice, quiet day with my husband and our friend Sarah who flew out from New York for the weekend.  We spent the day playing games (Settlers of Catan, Monopoly, and poker), eating, watching Whip It while we digested, and then eating some more.  It was delightful.


Things I'm thankful for:
- Finally having a freaking job
- No longer living in New Jersey
- My loving, supportive husband

The husband worked on Black Friday (he's in retail) and Sarah and I mostly avoided the Black Friday madness, except that we had some sewing we wanted to do, so we did end up at Joann's, which, to be honest, was not much worse than a normal Saturday - long lines for cutting and paying, but with better coupons.

And then there was Small Business Saturday!  I've meant to participate for a few years now but never have because a) where I lived in NJ wasn't all that big on small businesses other than restaurants and b) I always forget.  SO SUE ME.  But this year, in community-oriented, small business-loving Austin, it was a different story.  Sarah and I went to Zhi Tea, a local fair-trade tea seller that makes a dreamy cocoa chai.  I bought a small bag of the chai as well as a GIANT bag of the Earl Grey that I drink every morning.

Then, in keeping with my real love, we headed out to BookPeople, which is one of Austin's independent bookstores.  It has three floors and an incredible selection of books, local crafts, and fun gifts.  Additionally, they had local authors volunteering there for the day, a pretty awesome idea apparently advanced by Sherman Alexie earlier this year.  Sarah and I were browsing when not one, but TWO local authors came to offer us "help" (AKA chat about books).  The two authors are Kelly Luce and Owen Egerton, both of whom were really nice.  When he heard that I have a book blog, Egerton promptly handed me his phone and told me to pull it up.  So THAT was awesome (and if he's reading this, HI!).  He stuck around and told us about his newest book, Everyone Says That at the End of the World, and we both ended up buying a copy, which he signed.  I also picked up a copy of Robert Fagles' translation of The Odyssey, because I've been super into my Classics Club list recently, and particularly excited about The Odyssey ever since reading The Song of Achilles.

(On a sidenote, I'm currently reading The Name of the Rose from my list and oh god is it boring.  Please, somebody, tell me that it gets better.)

I had a great Thanksgiving weekend and managed to avoid most of the consumerism associated with it while still supporting some fun local businesses, which is pretty great.  How was everyone else's holiday??


3 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you're happy with your new job, living in a new part of the world, and married to a nice fellow. You deserve all of that!

    Indies First and Small Business Saturday was so much busier and so much more fun this year than we expected at my store. All booksellers owe Sherman Alexie a debt of gratitude for instigating this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reporting on Indies First! Such a great idea, I was disappointed not to be able to take part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for Whip It! That's a good movie for a long weekend. I kind of wish I'd bought that and forced my family to watch it. They'd have loved it.

    I forgot about the small business thing! Drat! There are all sorts of newish local businesses that I'd like to try out, and I forgot about it. I did zero shopping this weekend, and it was great. The only things I bought were groceries. (Well, that, and a small gift for my father.)

    ReplyDelete