Thursday, November 14, 2013

Classics Spin #4


I haven't read anything from my Classics Club list in a while so when I saw that the moderators were hosting a spin, I figured that it was meant to be.  I'm taking the whole week of Thanksgiving off of work (!!!) so I will definitely have time to read a classic then.  The way that it works is I make a list of twenty books from my list that I haven't read yet and post it on my blog.  Then, next week, they will choose a random number and I'm supposed to read that book by January.  Not too bad right?  Conveniently, when I took my list and removed all of the titles that I've read as well as those that I don't actually own yet, I had exactly twenty left.
  1. Austen, Jane: Persuasion
  2. Burgess, Anthony: A Clockwork Orange
  3. Dostoevsky, Fyodor: The Best Short Stories
  4. Eco, Umberto: The Name of the Rose 
  5. Faludi, Susan: Backlash
  6. Faulkner, William: The Sound and the Fury
  7. Flaubert, Gustave: Madame Bovary
  8. Hawthorne, Nathaniel: The Scarlet Letter
  9. Kerouac, Jack: On the Road
  10. London, Jack: The Call of the Wild
  11. Lovecraft, H.P.: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre
  12. O’Brien, Tim: The Things They Carried
  13. Paton, Alan: Cry, the Beloved Country
  14. Shakespeare: Henry VIII
  15. Styron, William: Sophie’s Choice
  16. Thoreau, Henry David: Walden
  17. Updike, John: Rabbit, Run
  18. Waugh, Evelyn: Brideshead Revisited
  19. Woolf, Virginia: The Waves
  20. Wright, Richard: Eight Men
I'm really hoping for Persuasion but I suppose I'll content myself with something else.  Just please let it not be Backlash.  Including a classic of feminist theory on my list seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm kind of dreading it now.  Oh well, we'll see what happens!

Is anybody else participating?  What classic are you hoping for?

1 comment:

  1. You've got some great books on your list :) I loved Madame Bovary in particular. I hope you get Persuasion like you want.

    ReplyDelete