Thursday, September 12, 2013

Life Update

To preface this post, I'd like to point out that I started writing it on on August 16.  That was nearly a month ago and therefore excellent evidence of how terrible a blogger (and reader) I have become.  I hope you will forgive me, dear readers, for I have an excellent excuse.
JUST LIKE THE POSTCARD.  Except bigger.  And darker.
If you read my blog regularly, you probably know that in May I finished grad school and moved from New Jersey to Austin, Texas.  I haven't said much else about what's going on in my life, partially because for a while there wasn't much to say and partially because the blog actually represented my days pretty well.  I was spending several hours a day reading and thinking about writing (though actually writing very little), and at least a couple more hours a day browsing through indeed.com, LinkedIn, and writing more cover letters than I care to remember.  It was boring, depressing, and non-blog-worthy.  But things have changed!  I have a job!

On August 12 (a month ago already?!) I started working for the Girl Scouts!  I run a program that brings Girl Scouts to underserved girls in the Austin area.  It's a pretty great first job for this feminist social worker and I'm really happy about it.  Last week I started my troops and it's been fun and interesting.  I have seven troops, all with wide age ranges, and it's amazing how different their dynamics are.  My job is also super-independent, which is a new and interesting experience, and a huge change from most of the jobs I've had, where somebody is always telling me what to do and how to do it.  At the Girl Scouts, I have some extremely broad guidelines and everything else is up to me.

I have yet, however, to figure out how to be both a full-time employee (a role I haven't had in a long time thanks to the recession and grad school) and a blogger.  I've only written three or four posts since starting the job and have read even less.  I think that's changing though - I finally admitted that the book I was reading (The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin) just wasn't working for me, so I DNFed it and moved on to This is Paradise by Kristiana Kahakauwila, thanks to several good recommendations from fellow bloggers.  Since then, I've been more motivated to read and hopefully that will make me a little more motivated to blog as well.  In the meantime, while I'm finding a balance, I hope y'all will bear with me.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, hey! Glad you emerged to update us on how things are going with you. Austin is a pretty great place, at least it was during my visits. I hope living there is just as fun.

    Congrats on the job with the Girl Scouts. What exactly is it that you're doing? You're not a troop leader with seven troops, right? Are you a coordinator? A facilitator?

    It's hard to work full time *and* read *and* blog about said reading. I've been there. But you'll find the right pace for your new life. Maybe it's once a week, maybe it's only twice a month. We'll all be here when you do.

    Ahh, The Orchardist. I thought it was quite good, but if I hadn't read it at the right time I would not have finished it. I really liked This Is Paradise, though!

    So is is just me, or do you want to burst into "The stars at night are big and bright *clap clap clap clap* deep in the heart of Texas" every time you see that Austin postcard backdrop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living here is great! And now that I have a job and can afford to do things, it's even better!

      I am a troop leader/coordinator/budget manager and whatever else the jobs requires. And yes, 7 troops is a LOT. But I'm getting volunteers so that will help.

      I'm going to try and write a post about The Orchardist, but for now I'll just say that the style was very annoying - Talmadge did this and this and this - plus all the telling was annoying. And I constantly was wondering why I should care. I just couldn't get invested in it. But I'm really enjoying This Is Paradise! I think I first heard of it from you, so thanks!!

      Lol, Austin is the opposite of the heart of Texas! There are hardly any Texans here at all, in fact.

      Delete
  2. CONGRATS! That is awesome. I just moved from Atlanta to Chicago so can totally understand the lack of blogging. How are you liking it? How was the move, in general? I'm often homesick (which I feel so lame admitting but it's true). Illinois is definitely different than Georgia, but I'm sure you're seeing the same thing.
    I finally just published a post about 6 titles that I had read since blogging last but had never managed to review.
    And the job sounds perfect! Can't wait to hear more about it in the blog posts to come. Really a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are LOVING Austin, though we're missing our friends from home. The move was okay except for the movers taking TWO WEEKS to get here. But other than that, it was pretty smooth.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the awesome job!!! I hear Austin is wonderful.

    I loved This is Paradise. Just finished it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Austin's great! So much more fun than New Jersey, and cheaper too. I really liked the book too - I'm posting a review this week (I hope!).

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the new job!! It sounds like awesome work. And don't worry, I'm sure you'll find a blog/life/work balance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun! I've only just started the troops and it's already really amazing how distinctive the girls' personalities are.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your new job!! It sounds awesome, particularly the freedom to organize your own day.

    I can say when I got my first professional job out of grad school, it took me a bit to balance the blog with suddenly so much to do in a day. I'm still struggling actually! On my blog I had to settle for fewer posts if I wanted them to remain as in-depth as they once were. I also relegated personal updates to once a month instead of once a week. You'll sort it all out :-)

    ReplyDelete