Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Classics Club ~ 1 Year Update

Though it doesn't seem possible, it has already been a whole year since I signed up for The Classics Club, a whopping five year reading commitment.  I went for the base goal of 50 classics (a term I chose to use rather loosely in 5 years).  One year later, my progress is (drumroll please) right on target!  I've read 10 of the books on my list, which means that as long as I keep up the pace, I will finish the list by August 24, 2017.  Hoorah!

Of course, at this point I haven't attempted any of the behemoths on my list (e.g., Crime and Punishment), or any of the books that have foiled me in the past (e.g., The Waves and The Sound and the Fury), which will be sure to slow my pace.  Hopefully that is tempered by the fact that I also haven't started on any of the children's classics on my list, which should be quick and easy.  We shall see.

Thus far, I've completed the following:

1. Austen, Jane: Mansfield Park
2. Bronte, Charlotte: Villette (review to come)
3. Butler, Octavia, E.: Kindred
4. Calvino, Italo: If on a winter’s night a traveler
5. Collins, Wilkie: The Woman in White
6. Irving, John: A Prayer for Owen Meaney
7. Tolkien, J.R.R.: The Hobbit
8. Tolkien, J.R.R.: The Lord of the Rings
9. Wharton, Edith: Ethan Frome
10. Woolf, Virginia: Jacob’s Room

How are all you other Classics Clubbers doing??

1 comment:

  1. Wee, congratulations :) It must be a nice feeling to be on schedule. I love Classics Club, it has boosted my classics' reading in a very nice manner. And you have nice list of read books there, I'm currently reading A Prayer for Owen Meany, so I'll bookmark your review for later reading.

    ReplyDelete