Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Summer Book List

So I have an increasing number of complete books to review for the blog...meh.  Thanks to Kayleigh at Nylon Admiral's winter reading post, I have yet another excuse to not write actual reviews - seasonal book lists!  Because we all know how well those work out for me.  Oh, we don't?  Well, last fall I read a total of half of one of the eight books on my list (or two, depending on how you count the Lord of the Rings series, which I counted as one).  This spring, I didn't even bother with a list.  BUT, I just graduated AND am currently unemployed (though hopefully not for long) so no more excuses, right?  Without further ado, my summer reading list:


1) Pure by Julianna Baggott: I'm super-excited for this first installment of a dystopian trilogy!  It's supposed to be real dark, which I like.  I actually bought two copies of this - one for me and one for a friend for her birthday so that we can read it together, which I am dorkily excited about.
2) Fun Home by Alison Bechdel: I read this for a graphic novel class in undergrad and was kind of meh about it.  I've read SUCH good reviews about it though and have been wanting to read more graphic novels but don't know what except for Bechdel's second book, Are You My Mother? but figured I should give Fun Home another chance before investing in another book.  So, we'll see.
3) Villette by Charlotte Bronte: I'm reading this for the Classics Club and am pretty excited about it.  It's one of those books I've been meaning to read for years and am finally getting around to.


 4) The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins: Ever since there was a really fun-sounding blog readalong for this a year or so ago, I've been really wanting to read this.  I'm also reading it for the Classics Club.
5) A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan: JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON.  I've been wary of this because of all the hype but I got a copy cheap at my library book sale last year, so I'll give it a shot.  I'm excited for the legendary powerpoint chapter.
6) Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde: The fourth book in the Thursday Next series!  It's been a while since I read The Well of Lost Plots and I'm excited to get back to BookWorld.


 7) The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro: I LOVED and was completely traumatized by Never Let Me Go, so this was a no-brainer when I found it at a book sale.
8) The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis: I've been meaning to read this for years and am finally getting around to it for the Classics Club.  I've been thinking it could make for a good readalong, with all the symbolism and allegory and whatnot.  Thoughts?
9) Hateship, Courtship, Friendship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro: I started this collection of short stories years ago and never finished it.  Plus, it's been far too long since I've read a collection of short stories, so I think it's time to get back to them.

What about you?  What are you planning to read this summer?

9 comments:

  1. I think I actually like Villette more than Jane Eyre, and I really like Jane Eyre.

    I just started 80 Days, the book about Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's race to be the fastest woman to go around the world. Pretty good so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's awesome. I love Jane Eyre!

      Delete
  2. You're going to love Villette, it's my favourite book by a Bronte and actually one of my favourite books ever. Just keep in mind that the narrator is very secretive.

    Enjoy your summer reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, glad to hear positive thoughts about Villette. I'm excited for it!

      Delete
  3. Hooray for excuses not to write a review! Also Hooray for jumping on the Goon Squad bandwagon. It's fun up here! We have cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I sure hope so. I'm 2 chapters/stories in and enjoying it thus far. Except for a reference for signing a debit card receipt because that's NOT HOW IT WORKS.

      Delete
  4. So many books on your list that I really want to read and now want to add to MY list!

    Is the Chronicles of Narnia just The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe or the whole series? It's so weird living in Australia where apparently we package our books differently to everyone else (looking at you Game of Thrones book 3). Anyway, I really loved that series as a kid but I really want to read them again now that I'm older and will actually *get* the symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the whole series, which I'm counting as one. I think that it's only packaged like that in the adult section of the bookstore - the individual books look different and are sold on their own in the kids' section.

      Do you mean that A Storm of Swords is sold in 2 parts in Australia? Because I WISH that I could find that in the US.

      Delete
    2. It's definitely convenient for size (I don't even know how you guys handle that as a single book) but it's pain in the ass when you finish the first part without the second part sitting ready to go!

      Delete