Saturday, June 1, 2013

Armchair BEA ~ Children's and YA Lit

Design credit:Sarah of Puss Reboots
Today's topic over at Armchair BEA is Children's and Young Adult literatures!  I don't have any kids of my own, but I was a book-loving child once and I have four nieces and a nephew, so I see all sorts of adorable children's literature.  I also occasionally read and review some YA lit on the blog, so I'm no stranger to these genres.  Here are some of my favorites!

There was a book that I remember really loving as a kid, called I Am My Mother, I am My Father (or something like that).  The book flipped back to front, with one side being about a daughter and her mother and the other side about a son and his father, and then they all meet in the middle.  My childhood copy is currently in tatters on my nephew's bookshelf, and I would LOVE to get another copy for myself, but I can't even find a picture of it!  One day I'll find it...


 These are all children's books I discovered as I got older and wish that I had read as a child.  The Lorax is about environmentalism, Jamberry is about a bear collecting berries, and Skippyjon Jones is a really fun story about a Siamese cat who thinks he is a chihuahua, and is super-fun to read because of the accents and the rhythm of the writing.  I haven't yet found a child who particularly enjoys it, but with all the monotony of counting books, sometimes you need to choose a story just for yourself.


Speaking of counting books, these ones are actually fun.  I've technically only ever read the Pride and Prejudice book, but look at all the other ones!  Counting can actually be fun!


 These are probably my three favorite YA series.  For the uninitiated, Hunger Games is about a dystopian world, where every year a child from each community is forced to fight other children to the death as a means of societal control.  Divergent is about another dystopian world where society is broken into groups based on traits and what happens when that system ceases to function.  And Harry Potter is, of course, about a boy wizard.  If I have to say anything else about it, that just makes me sad for you.  Harry Potter is the only one of these books I actually started reading when I was a kid (twelve to be precise) and it's by far my most-read book and series of all time.  In fact, I'm in the middle of a readalong of the series right now!

What about you?  What are some of your favorite children's and YA books?

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen those baby classics IRL but they look so adorable and I plan to buy a bunch of them for my friend who just had a little boy. He's going to be the fanciest reading boy in all the land.

    HARRY MOTHER-FLIPPIN' POTTER!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many favorite kids' and YA books it's ridiculous. My library when I was a kid had a ton of sort of old and obscure children's fiction, so I have a lot of affection for a large number of out-of-print kids' books that I tried to acquire when my library ultimately got rid of them at their annual book sale. (I guess nobody was checking them out anymore except my sisters and I.) Like Edward Ormondroyd's David and the Phoenix? SUCH a good book. Needs to be put back into print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the Harry Potter books so much. I'm due for a re-read soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both my pre-teen and I have read and re-read "The Beat on Ruby's Street" by author Jenna Zark (http://www.jennazark.com). The book follows young Ruby Tabeata in 1958 Greenwich Village. Ruby's parents are "beatnicks" and she has grown up in a very unconventional and unique way. She goes to school with the neighborhood kids at the local store (deciding their own hours, learning math from the cash register) and has to learn to be self-sufficient and tough at the very young age of 11. Ruby soon finds herself accused of stealing and sent to a children's care home because her home has been deemed unsafe. When she arrives, Ruby has to fight off a bully and her own panic at the thought of never seeing her family again. She does finally make her way home but she uncovers a family secret that means life as she knows it will never be the same. Lost and lonely Ruby decides to follow her heart to find the one thing she needs with the power to help her heal. Her poetry and love of the arts motivates her and helps her find out who she is and what her path is in life :) It's a fantastic read! I can't promote it enough!

    ReplyDelete