Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Armchair BEA - Introductions

Design Credit: Nina of Nina Reads
As ever, I am three steps behind the rest of the book blogging world.  I've missed the start of Armchair BEA every year since I've started blogging and, even crazier, have missed BEA itself every year too, even though I've lived in New Jersey my entire life, just a train ride away.  This year, I really wanted to get myself there...but then I moved out of the area LAST WEEK.  What timing, eh?  But I found out just in time and joined up so (drumroll please) here is my introduction!

Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?
I'm Jennifer.  I graduated with a BA in English in 2010 and immediately realized that I no longer had a forum to discuss books in, since most of my friends don't read as much as I do, so I made a book blog, to join all the other great book bloggers I'd been following.  That was three years ago and I'm still going strong!  Since then, I've gotten a Masters in Social Work (last week!) so I'm farther from the real-life book world than ever, making the blogging community my bookish refuge.  I also just moved to Texas and am waiting for both the moving truck with all my worldly possessions (including my books!) and my husband to arrive, so I have PLENTY of time to devote to this blogging event.

What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2013? 
I am currently reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, and the jury's still out on it.  So far this year, I have LOVED Kindred by Octavia Butler (review to come) and become obsessed with the Divergent series by Veronica Roth.  I haven't read that much this year (at least not in print form, YAY for audiobooks), thanks to grad school, but that is currently being remedied.

If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why? 
I always have a hard time with these questions, but I think Luna Lovegood, because she is weird and awesome and I'd love to hear her thoughts on pretty much everything.  Also, I bet you she's a vegetarian.  Or maybe Danaerys from A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin, because she is kickass (though most certainly NOT vegetarian).

What literary location would you most like to visit? Why? 
Probably Book World because, uh, books?  This might be a little like asking for three more wishes because visiting Book World would essentially allow me to visit ALL the bookish locations.  I'm totally cheating here.  Okay, if I HAD to choose, I'd probably visit the circus from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern because MAGIC and awesomeness.  It's been a while since I've read it, but the floaty cloud room?  YES.

What is your favorite part about the book blogging community? 
There are lots of aspects of the book blogging community that I love, like how there are other people that obsessively read and even read the same things as me so we can TALK about it!  But I guess my favorite part is getting recommendations, because I've read some great things since starting my blog that I might never have heard of if it wasn't for my fellow bloggers.  Oh!  Also readalongs!  They are the bestest.

9 comments:

  1. I just read Divergent this year too, I still need to read Insurgent so I can get ready for Allegiante, sooo excited. I definitely agree with your comment about how blogging opens you up to read books you may never have read before. Enjoy Armchair BEA!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read Kindred as well. WOW. What a read! I never would have picked it up if not for the urging of The Estella Society: http://www.estellasociety.com/?p=987 I can't believe I hadn't heard of it beforehand.

    If you have dinner with Luna you MUST invite me ;)

    By the way, your name is gorgeous! Nice to meet ya, hope to see you around! Happy BEA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, glad you decided to join in :)
    I love how my reading tastes have diversified since I started blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you missed BEA, but yay for making it to Armchair BEA! Hope you enjoy it!
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luna would be such a great person to have dinner with! And the circus from The Night Circus would be delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luna is totally a vegetarian. :) And THE NIGHT CIRCUS! I loved that book. I want to run away and join the night circus.
    Oh and congrats on your Masters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a dinner with Luna would be delightful, but imagine how much better it'd be if you also added Neville to that night - you could become the three amigos to rival H.R.Hr (but not rival in a Malfoy way, just in a take all the good hero jobs way).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jennifer,
    It is nice to meet you. Congratulations on your Master degree. That is quite a move - from New Jersey to Texas! I loved Night Circus. Welcome to Armchair BEA!

    LLM - ABookGeek

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a love hate relationship with audiobooks (:
    hooray for vegetarians! Haha
    I hope you enjoy armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete