Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Jacob's Room ~ Virginia Woolf

Okay everyone, get ready for the shortest book review ever*:  Jacob's Room is Virginia Woolf's third novel, roughly following the life of Jacob Flanders, who I honestly can't tell you much about because there isn't much of a story here.  Woolf's writing is, as ever, lovely and easy to immerse yourself in (if you're in the right frame of mind) but the lack of narrative makes it hard to come back to.  This is why it took me nearly four months to read this unassuming, 176-page novel (I started it during the Classics Club Readathon back in January...oops).  All in all, I enjoyed the writing but this wasn't exactly my favorite novel by Woolf.  For those new to her, I suggest you start with To the Lighthouse or Mrs. Dalloway...there's a reason people always talk about those two novels (it's because they have the writing and a story, though the story's not necessarily the point).


On the plus side, this is the sixth book I've finished for the Classics Club Readalong.  Woot!


*Or at least every written by me.  What can I say?  I'm wordy.  Usually.  Not today.

2 comments:

  1. **SPOILERS BE HERE**
    I def read this one in college [and this is a fairly highbrow, proud-of-itself academic institution], and in the middle of the discussion on it, the professor mentioned that jacob dies...and at least half the class was like, wait what?!
    b/c we missed that shit.

    and virginia, I know that you're big & important & awesome, but if the readers can't even catch when the character dies, something is too.hard.

    so all that to say I am so with you on the lack of discernible plot-ness :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I know right?! I read about his death on Wikipedia before finishing the book and I kept waiting and waiting for it, but it never seemed to happen! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who missed this!

    ReplyDelete