Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Classics Club Readathon ~ Ending Post

So the end has come came an hour ago, my friends.  It was fun while I was conscious.  To be frank, for me the 24-hour readathon was more of an intermittent 15-hour readathon, which came as no surprise to me, who can't even stay up to complete school assignments due first thing the next day.  I need my sleep.  My day looked a little like this:

I bought the Starbucks chai on my way home from babysitting last night, and I was dozing off in my chair within minutes of finishing it.  As I dragged myself to bed, I was all, the caffeine will make me wake up after a couple of hours.  I'll read THEN!  No such luck.  I slept until 8 and then lolled in bed for 45 minutes.  Not the best showing.

But it was fun!  And I read things!  And also, here's the questionnaire that Allie at The Classics Club has asked to be completed:

1) What book(s) did you read during the event?
-A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin - Only about 10 pages, to finish my chapter before starting something else.  Not on my list.
-Broken Harbor by Tana French: Listened to about an hour while doing various things.  Also not on my list but oh my goodness, IT'S SO GOOD.
-Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton: FINISHED IT!  And it's on my list and everything.  This was 130 pages.  Review to come.
-Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf: I read about 60 pages of this, though I was hoping to finish the measly 170 pages.  Oh well.  Woolf's writing was, as ever, lovely, and I lost myself in it.  The falling asleep thing was not at all her fault.
2) What book(s) did you finish?  Just Ethan Frome.
3) What did you like about our event?  Reading with other people!  It was fun reading updates and following how people were doing in real time.  Also, an excuse/encouragement to read, read, read, with a focus on my Classics Club list.  Though real life still interfered.
4) Do you have suggestions for future readathons through The Classics Club?  Maybe try and avoid scheduling them on the same day as other readathons.  The mini-readathon sounded fun too, but had a totally different theme, so I had to choose.  I want to do both!  (I realize that this probably wasn't intentional, just saying.)  Also, maybe it could be stretched over a weekend and allow time for sleep?  Like, from 8-8 Saturday and Sunday.
5) Would you participate in future readathons?  Sure!  I used to think readathons were crazy and had no desire to do one, but now I see how much fun they can be and how much cookie butter I get to eat!  WIN!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the readathon. Broken Harbor was my favorite book of 2012 -- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only we could get real life to stop interferring!
    I used to have no desire to do readathons as well, but I'm totally a convert now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a lot of fun, too, even though I didn't read as much as I thought I would, but at least I did read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like quite a few of us are now Readathon converts. Next time I will select slimmer books if I want that sense of completion! I love Edith Wharton's stuff, although Ethan is one of tougher ones to love. I look forward to the review :-)

    ReplyDelete