Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Classics Club Readathon ~ Beginning


Good morning, fellow readers!  It is Saturday and that means that it's time for The Classics Club Readathon, AKA my first readathon ever, AKA oh my goodness are these people crazy, AKA SUCH FUN.  The moderators over at The Classics Club are starting off festivities with a questionnaire!  What fun!  (I feel like I sound very sarcastic and mocking, but that is not the case.  I'm just very sleepy and my tea isn't ready yet.)


1) Name and Blog: Jennifer at Soy Chai Bookshelf
2) Snacks and beverages of choice: I think this really says it all:
That is cookie butter, for the uninitiated, and you eat it with a spoon.  But there will also be lots of tea and smoothies and chocolate chip pancakes, which I shall call "breakfast."
3) Where are you reading from today? Mostly from my apartment in NJ, but I have a couple of things to do throughout the day so the location might change.  I am going to a spa down the street at noon, so maybe I'll be reading in the waiting area?  And I'm babysitting tonight, so you had better believe that when those kids are asleep, I shall be reading on their couch.  And when my body threatens to fall asleep, as it inevitably will because I can rarely make it past 10:30 p.m., I shall go to Starbucks and get chai and most likely become delirious.  Fun!
4) What are your goals for the Readathon? To finish 2-3 short books from my list and not hate reading by the end of it.
5) What books are you planning on reading? Well, I'm going to be starting with the chapter of A Feast for Crows that I fell asleep reading last night (see question 3) even though that has nothing to do with my list because otherwise it would drive me crazy to not know what's going on with Alayne.  Then, I'll start on my list.  I found the following books from my list on my shelves, most of which are of a non-threatening length:
I think I'll be starting with Ethan Frome and then moving on to The Scarlet Letter.  If time allows, I may start Villette, which it's my goal to finish before the spring semester begins, but who knows what will happen?  I could go all feral and move on to The Call of the Wild.  We shall see.
6) Are you excited?  YES!  And also nervous.

I'll be updating throughout the day and night - I think one big post that I keep updating (I'll change the subject line when I update).  In the mean time, read on my friends.

14 comments:

  1. Happy Readathon from Sydney Australia.
    Good luck
    Brona's Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Villette is awesome, it's probably my favourite classic ever.
    And I can't blame you for not being able to put George Martin down, I've just finished the first part of Storm of Swords and I'm desperate to find out what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so addictive! And I've been meaning to read Villette for years now; I'm excited to finally get to the story behind Jane Eyre.

      Delete
  3. Readathons are so much fun-you're going to get hooked on them after this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great stack! Enjoy! (And I too love chai... you've given me a great idea for the late-night hours.) --Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your choices sound awesome - and very ambitious :)
    Good luck with the not falling asleep (copious amounts of coffee and sugar help)!
    Also, I feel the strong need to steal all your cookie butter. I don't mean to be rude, it's just that we don't have such heavenly things here in boring old Austria.

    Happy reading anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you! But the Biscoff spread is actually from Belgium, so I feel like you have a better chance of finding it in Austria than I have here!

      Delete
  6. You had me at "cookie butter." LOL Have a great readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ethan Frome is so depressing...but so good! Enjoy! And that Biscoff looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your books. I am on an anti-inflammatory (re: can't eat anything diet) and I'm staring longingly at that cookie butter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ethan Frome and The Scarlet Letter - yikes! Heavy reading! They're both great books, though. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, how did you end up doing? I love The Scarlet Letter, but it is not a quick read...Ethan Frome is though, and I liked that one as well. I had a great readathon, finishing Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses by Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete