Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Reading in 2013

Happy New Years, my fellow bloggers!  I hope you had a fun evening and first day of the year.  I rang the new year in in a nearly empty pool hall, which was actually pretty fun, and fortunately the manager didn't insist on playing the live coverage of nothing for more than the five minutes leading up to midnight, so that was good.  I don't really get the whole ball dropping thing.  It's rather anticlimactic.

Anywho.  2013!  I have Plans.  Reading plans.  But not too strict of reading plans because I have terrible follow-through and I find reading far less fun if it's too structured.  So here are my 4 reading resolutions intentions for 2013:

1) Do lots of readalongs.  Because readalongs are so much more fun than challenges - they're generally smaller and interactive and far more motivating.  I'm kicking this off with the Harry Potter Readalong hosted by Alice at Reading Rambo because Harry Potter is awesome and I can do this using audiobooks so I can still read other things and also it's been like 6 months since I last listened through the series and that is clearly too long.  It starts Friday, so if you want to join up, do it fast!


2) Try a readathon.  I've always found readathons to be rather crazy but also people's posts during them are really fun so I'm going to give it a shot.  The Classics Club is hosting a 24-hour readathon on Saturday, so I'm going to forego everything except a trip to the spa that day (Groupon had a really good deal) and eat and lounge and read.  Or at least attempt it.  And not sleep, I guess?  We'll see.


3) Speaking of The Classics Club, I plan to make a good dent in that challenge this year.  It's my only challenge and consists of books I chose so hopefully this should work?  And if it doesn't. I have until August 24, 2017 to win complete it, so that's cool.  I've finished four books so far, so if I read ten more this year, I'll be in good shape.  Hopefully I'll take out at least two shorter titles during Saturday's readthon.

4) Join a book club.  A real life one, with people I can see and touch and smell, because that's not creepy.  I graduate in May and then the husband and I move far, far away, and when I get there I want to find people I can talk to about books.  I love blogging, and I certainly won't give it up, but I really miss the immediacy of a conversation about books that I used to have in my undergraduate English classes.  I plan to find a club on Meetup or make my own.

That's it!  Not excessive right?  I also plan to write more this year, so we'll see how that goes.  What are your 2013 reading plans??

5 comments:

  1. Nice! i would LOVE to find a local bookclub to join, but the only ones I know that are accepting new members are the ones hosted by my bookstore and led by my coworkers, which would make it feel a little too much like work!

    Also: I'm doing the HP readalong thing, too, so yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try meetup.com! It has all sorts of great groups, and tons of book clubs (at least around me). The only reason I haven't joined one yet is because I don't think I can commit, what with school and all (I read one print book this semester).

      See you at Hogwarts!

      Delete
  2. Ooh I didn't know about the Classics Club readathon - I've just signed up :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Glad to know that I won't be all alone! It seems like a lot of people are doing that mini readathon that day, but I figured I should go all in for my first one!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your reading goals. And YAY for HP readalong. All the fun.

    ReplyDelete