Friday, January 4, 2013

Harry Potter Readalong: Post the First

Hi all you crazy adult Harry Potter fans/obsessives/people who thought this Harry Potter readalong might be fun.  Welcome to my intro post!  I'm Jennifer, a graduate student studying social work in NJ (but I'm moving soonish).  I like to read and pretend to write and cook/bake and eat and do yoga.  Also, I'm a vegetarian.  I've been blogging since May 2010, right after I graduated from undergrad.  I'm usually fairly snobbish when it comes to books, but Harry is my big exception.  I've read and listened to the Harry Potter series about a trillion times because I'm cool like that.

Actually, I'm cool like this.
I first heard about Harry when I was 12 or so and I thought it sound stupid and said pshaw.  But then I read the first one to humor somebody and loved it and ended up having to replace my first paperback copy because I loaned it out to so many other people who also said pshaw that it fell apart.

I've already reviewed all of the books on this blog, but OH WELL, we shall discuss it more because that's what makes us cool.  Also, the more I read Harry Potter, the more I find that's wrong with it but that doesn't actually make me love it any less.  So I shall point out all of the Harry Potter logic and we shall say oh, Harry in unison and it shall be great.

Okay, so themes to look out for...  Does the awesomeness of Luna Lovegood count?  I used to think I was super insightful because I noticed that Harry's eyes and Voldemort's key spell (avada kedavra) are both green, while Voldermort's eyes and Harry's key spell (expelliarmus) are both red.  Deep, huh?  So maybe I'll look out for color imagery?  Probably not, if only because I'll be listening to the books on audiobook and it's hard to take notes while I drive, but it's a nice thought.

Anywho.  I'm super-excited for this readalong and to geek out with so many excellent bloggers!  This is going to be great!

Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. *waves*

    "Harry's eyes and Voldemort's key spell (avada kedavra) are both green, while Voldermort's eyes and Harry's key spell (expelliarmus) are both red"

    THIS IS WHY I'M EXCITED FOR THIS. Because I don't notice that sort of thing. And when we do readalongs, we combine all our observations and become observation KINGS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there we go, affirmation of the whole purpose of this thing! GO ME.

      Delete
    2. *Never* made this connection either! Holy crap this readalong is going to be awesome!

      Delete
  2. I NEVER noticed that about the eyes/spells! I'm going to add color imagery to my list of things to look out for, in addition to references to Latin vocab and mythology, early signs of horcruxes, and details about how impressive Dumbledore really is, because really, we know he is but JKR is just so damn awesome about it.

    Also, Jim Dale is the greatest narrator of all time, so good call on the audio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love details about Dumbledore's awesomeness, because we tend to hear that from characters who don't seem to have spent much time researching other awesome wizards. I want some perspective here!

      If you like good audiobooks, you should listen to Beautiful Ruins. I can't remember the name of the narrator but he is absolutely incredible!!

      Delete
  3. I am SO EXCITED for this and to poke holes in all of the HP logic. We will LOVINGLY poke these holes and have arguments about which characters are the best and which are stupid heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to think of a stupid head character and I really can't think of one. Wow. I'm sure they're there, but I don't feel any particular disdain for any character other than the disdain that the narrative requires. I mean, I hate the Dursleys, but I'm supposed to.

      Delete
  4. You have so blown my mind with this colour thing that it's insane. But OMG yes!

    I am so excited that excited doesn't even come close to describing it. I might DIE of excitement over this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One post in and minds are already being blown - awesome. Also, please don't die, kay? If you do, you might not be able to finish the readalong and that would just be sad.

      Delete
    2. If anyone dies during this readalong I will be MORTIFIED.

      Delete
    3. Alice, your response just made me laugh for an inordinate amount of time.

      Delete
  5. This will be so awesome. And I so didn't notice that eye color thing - damn. Way to notice things.

    I am just a ball of excitement right now, I can't wait to start talking about the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, that's my only clever observation!

      Delete
  6. Aaaaahh the spell/eye colour coordination! Readalongs are the GREATEST. (Also, how mad were you when movie Harry had blue eyes? So mad.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. " Also, the more I read Harry Potter, the more I find that's wrong with it but that doesn't actually make me love it any less."

    So true. Oh, so true. I got downright vehement in my excoriation after DH (there was a dissertation about JKR's anti-semitism over the course of the series that I kept metaphorically high-fiving, for example), but I still love these books more than I've ever loved any other book. And because I love them so much I guess I want them to be better. Which is where fanfiction comes in. Yay, fanfiction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from the readalong list - HI! :)

    I am also a grad student, so we'll see how long this readalong lasts, but I'm going to try to squeeze this between all my other school readings (aw hell, I can read those journal articles later, Harry Potter always wins).

    You bake AND you're vegetarian? I'm not a vegetarian, but I DO love vegetarian food AND baking so I would love it if you have any recipes or links up your sleeve!
    Also, can't wait for some "oh, Harry" harry potter logic - I read this book when I was 11, so I'm pretty sure that if there were any gaping plot holes or fallacies, I plugged them up with silly putty and trucked along, or something.

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These posts are making me so excited. I might be the only one in the readalong who hasn't read HP, but I am so excited to finally be going the good time.

    ReplyDelete