Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Top Ten: Fall TBR List

It's been a while since I've done a Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, but this week's topic has been on my mind, what with school starting this week.  With four classes and a 24 hour/week field placement, reading means strategizing.  I have no expectation of actually managing to read 10 books over the next 4 months, so I didn't bother struggling to reach that goal.  Without further ado, the top ten books of my fall TBR list.

1) Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson: I've had The Bloggess's book since it came out but had a tough time getting into it and kept getting distracted by other things.  Hopefully I'll manage it this fall because I so want to love it.


 2) My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: I started this anthology of modern fairy tales last semester, and have occasionally returned to it since.  Anthologies are good for that, since they tend to be collected by genre rather than theme, and therefore don't really need to be read together.  This will be my "I have ten minutes to read and can't possibly commit myself to anything longer" book.

3) The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien: Not much to say about this, except that I committed to it for the Classics Club and just started listening to the audiobook, which means I'm ahead of the game.

4) The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien: I actually started reading this series in high school but stopped, so I'm excited to get back to it.  I just hope to be able to get through the bit about the talking trees on this attempt.  I will also be listening to these on audiobook.  Did I mention my one-hour commute to my unpaid field placement?  Yeah, I think I'll have plenty of time to visit Middle Earth.

5) The Children of Henry VIII by Alison Weir: Don't worry, my obsession hasn't vanished just because I took the summer off.  Reading biographies of the Tudors was actually surprisingly doable during the last school year, so I full expect to be as successful this time around.


6) Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre by H.P. Lovecraft: I started this collection of the creepiest stories ever around last Halloween, and intend to commit myself to a month full of nightmares again this October.

7) A Walk for Sunshine by Jeff Alt: I impulsively picked this up at a visitor's center in Great Smoky Mountains National Park while in Tennessee this summer.  I mean, how could I resist?  It's got a guy wondering around America (okay, just the Appalachian Trail) which I love, AND social justice-y issues (see social work grad school).  Perfect.


8) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky:  This was my favorite book in high school and now it's going to be a movie and Hermione is in it and oh my god what if it's not good and wow do I need to stop talking with teenage inflections.  Anywho - I shall reread it and it shall be great.

Okay, I think that's more than enough enough.  What with keeping up with my schoolwork, which is already overwhelming me even though I don't start class until Thursday, I'd be amazed if I even manage this short list, despite the fact that 2 of the 7 are audiobooks.  What are you planning to read this fall?

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Let's Pretend! I hope you enjoy it. I also wish you luck on LotR and hopefully the audiobooks help. Good use of all that commuting time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to read Perks of Being a Wallflower for the first time soon. Then to watch the movie! It's funny how you said Hermione is going to be in it. She'll always be Hermione, won't she? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hobbit is one I'm excited to read too. Hope you get to all these during Fall :-)

    ReplyDelete