Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Telegraph Avenue Readalong: Inaugural Post

Guys, I am the worst blogger ever.  Emily over at As the Crow Flies and Reads invited me to join the lovely pre-release read-along of Telegraph Avenue that she's hosting and I managed to miss the first post.  Not cool.  It's not that I wasn't thinking about it - I just failed to pay attention to the calendar and may have gotten completely distracted by the other book that I'm currently reading and will now abandon for a month.

So, the book!  Telegraph Avenue is the newest novel by Michael Chabon, which, if I'm not mistaken, is due for release on September 11 (preorder it, if'n you want!).  I've never read Chabon before, though he's been on my list of authors to get to, so when I heard of this read along, I knew I wanted to try it.  Partially to check someone off of my TBR list and partially to read a book before it's available to most people because, let's face it, that makes me feel super-cool.  And it's one of those kinds of books that I really like (at least according to the summary) - layered, with a seemingly large cast of characters, multiple converging storylines, and unafraid to tackle tough topics, like race in the United States.  The summary describes it as an epic, which should be exciting.

In short, I'm super excited to be participating in this read along (and read alongs in general, because it's fun to read with other and be able to have a conversation).  I'll be posting every Tuesday through the end of the month and can't wait to compare notes with my fellow readers.  Now excuse me while I go set a reminder on my phone for next week's post.

4 comments:

  1. better late than pregnant, as my sister always said. so glad you're joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahaha! That made me laugh out loud for real!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you made it! I'm kind of curious to hear see what the people new to Chabon will make of Telegraph Avenue. I'm not that far into it, but it has a different style while maintaining a Chabon feeling, if that makes any sense... hrm. Anyway, looking forward to seeing your thoughts next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I beat you in the late category by a day, but I'll be better next week. Setting the alarm on my phone is a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete