Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday Rewind

Hola, readers!  It's been a while since I've done a Top Ten Tuesday because I haven't been very compelled by the topics recently, but I couldn't resist this week's rewind edition.  I'm going to do a list of ten books that I can't believe I've never read, which was the 10th list that The Broke and the Bookish ever did and was originally aired here.  So here they are: ten books that I can't understand how I've gone 24+ years without reading (where have I been?!).


1) Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: Guys, I was supposed to read this for summer reading before entering high school.  And I tried...once.  It put me to sleep and I decided that I was too cool for required reading and that was that.  I'd like to finally read it and I've toyed around with the idea of hosting some sort of read along in the hopes that support will get me through it, but I'm still not quite ready to commit.  That first page was just so very boring...

2) The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis: I've been meaning to read this for years and have on many occasions stopped to pick up a complete edition of the series in bookstores, but for some reason have never managed to make the leap.  I mean, what's stopping me - a series of seven novels about children in a magical world?  I've practically already read it!

3) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain: I have no specific, personal reason to want to read this except that it's classic American literature and I feel like I need to have read it to be a legitimate American reader.  And yes, when I finally get around to it, I will be reading it with the original word choice as intended by Samuel Clemens.

4) The Ethics of What We Eat by Peter Singer: Technically, I've read the first couple of chapters of this, but I never finished it and that is just silly.  It's like required reading for vegetarians everywhere (and probably should be for everybody else as well).  Also into this category I'm putting the rest of The Omnivore's Dilemma, Eating Animals, and a whole bunch of other animal rights/vegetarian/informed eating choices books that I've shamefully never read or completed.

5) Walden by Henry David Thoreau: I think that everybody has that one high school English teacher that they will never forget, who taught them things that went beyond their subject and impacted their life in some lasting way.  Mr. Patterson was mine and he loved to talk about Henry David Thoreau and Ralph Waldo Emerson.  Partially in response to his enthusiasm and partially due to my own interest in the subject matter, I always meant to read Walden, and it's sitting on my shelf waiting for me to this day.

6) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe: I don't have any particular motivation to read this and, honestly, I doubt I ever will.  However, it was discussed so much in my primary and secondary education, that I don't really understand how I managed to graduate high school without it ever being assigned (though, as we've seen, that would have actually guaranteed me reading it!).

7) Animal Farm by George Orwell: I love Nineteen Eighty-Four and have read it multiple times.  I also own Animal Farm, yet somehow have never picked it up, despite having intended to for years.  How has this happened with so many books on my shelf?!

8) A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan: Everybody and her father (literally) has had only glowing reviews to give about this book, plus the author shares my first name, which is a huge selling point, yet somehow I've never been all that motivated by the plot summary.  I do have a copy though, which I got from my town's recent library book sale, so maybe one of these days I'll give it a shot (or maybe it'll just go on mouldering next to Walden and Animal Farm).

9) The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender: Even though it has the potential to be insanely cheesy, there's something about the idea of tasting somebody's emotions through her cooking that fascinates me.  Maybe it's because I myself cook and bake a lot, or just because of the picture of cake on the cover, but I have treasured a guilty desire to read this book for a while now, and I don't know how I have never succumbed.

10) Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson: So technically this has only been out for less than two months, so it's not that ridiculous that I haven't read it yet, but considering how freaking excited I was for it and the fact that I'm going to a reading with Jenny Lawson tomorrow night, you'd think I'd have read it by now.  Not so much, though I have started (just barely).

9 comments:

  1. Definitely Lemon Cake! It surprised me with its sincerity.

    Here's my
    Top Ten Books I Will Never Read.
    I'd love to have you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read #1, 2, 3 & 6, so you arent alone in not having read some of these!
    Here is my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had to read Great Expectations a couple times and I want to like it, I do, but it's so boring. Each time. Miss Havisham is good in the crazy-lady kind of way but when she's not around it's eh. you should read Animal Farm though cos it was both excellent (if a bit hit-you-over-the-head preachy) and super short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The particular sadness of lemon cake is a simply wonderful, lovely book. Not cheesy at al1! Not sure if you're familiar with Bender's other work, but it's definitely Bender at her finest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! I'll have to pick it up.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read a single one of these either! But a few are on my TBR and I hope to get around to them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely in the same boat. There are so many classic books that I can't believe I haven't read. Like you, I often nod off while reading them or let my mind wander off. Classics can be wonderful once I help myself get into them, but it does take a little work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read Jenny Lawson's book. Huck Finn isn't too bad...i've read it twice, and honestly, I always like the half at the end the best! :)

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read some of her memoir, and I honestly haven't loved it. Her blog style doesn't seem to translate as well to a full-length book.

      Delete