Sunday, June 24, 2012

Reading Journal 6/24/12

I haven't posted in over a week, mostly because I haven't had much to say.  I haven't been sure whether I want to continue the assault on Mountains Beyond Mountains (I don't want to insult the person who gave it to me, but I'm also disgusted by it).  I've had zero desire to pick it up though, so instead I decided to take a stab at my crazy TBR pile shelf before I start a prerelease read along for Michael Chabon's Telegraph Avenue next month, which I'm super-excited about by the way.  I've only done a couple of read alongs, but it's so nice to have other people to discuss books with that I jump on the chance when I can.

In lieu of continuing Mountain Beyond Mountains, I started reading Possession by A.S. Byatt, which I got from Abebooks quite a while ago.  This has been a bit of a strange reading experience thus far.  When I first started, I was all must have complete silence to contemplate the difficult thing that is this and put a closed door between my husband and me to ensure peace.  And after a chapter, I was all, what do I care about Ash and a lady that he may or may not have written to and are these even real people?  Perhaps I will not continue.  And also, this is why I did not pursue a PhD in English, because man would this kind of work suck.  But I persevered, and nearly 200 pages in I've finally gotten accustomed to the writing style of the poetry and letters printed within the novel, and don't even mind them much anymore.  I've stopped falling asleep after reading two pages, too!  I'm even getting a little hooked on it.  Though I've yet to find any quotes worthy of me vandalizing my own book, which is a bit disappointing, as this seems like the kind of books where I'd be likely to do just that.  Preliminarily, I'd like to say that this is no light read and if you need action in a novel, this is probably not the book for you.

As for my last piece of bookish news, I'm going to a book club tomorrow!  With real people (that is to say that they will be present in the flesh, not the url).  We're discussing Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, which I've read a couple of times but probably still would have reread if I'd had more than a week's notice and had the book available to me upon learning about it.  So I'm going to rely on my memory and a bit of Wikipedia to get me through, so as not to make a complete fool of myself, and hope to have more time to prepare for our next meeting.

Oh, and I'm writing this to you from my fancy new Mac desktop, which is fancy and nice and demonstrates both why it is good and not so good to have a husband working at Apple, because we get nice things for less but also spend money on said nice things that we would not have spent otherwise, even if it is less.  It's so nice!  And kind of makes our desk look like a doll desk because the smallest screen available is still so big and nice!  Okay, I'm done now.

Oh, and I'm probably actually going to post a Meatless Monday post tomorrow because I've got all sorts of exciting foodie things going on (okay, not really, but it's exciting to me), so be sure to check back.  Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment