Sunday, May 13, 2012

Two Year Wrap-Up

That's right - it's been two years since I started this blog.  It's also my husband's birthday.  Not sure why I created a blog on his birthday but yeah.  Happy Birthday Mitchell!

For my two year anniversary, I thought I'd do a large scale version of the monthly wrap-ups that a lot of my fellow bloggers do but I'm too unreliable to regularly commit to, and look at the break-down of everything that I've read over the last two years.  The research and statistics class I took this semester compels me to clarify that by "everything" I mean "reviewed" and "intended to review" and "am currently reading."  Also audiobooks.  It does not include individual short stories, stuff I read for school, or things that I forgot about.  Also, I grouped series together as one book so that J.K. Rowling wouldn't completely dominate all of the categories (she is already in both the print and audiobook categories).  So lets takes a look-see:

Books Read
Overall total: 57
Total fiction: 53
Total nonfiction: 4
Total print: 48
Total audiobooks: 10

Time Period
18th century: 1
19th century: 8
Early 20th century (1900-49): 3
Late 20th century (1950-99): 15
21st century: 30

Authors By Sex
Female: 31
Male: 26


Authors By Race/Ethnicity (by my observation and interpretation)
White: 50
Asian/Indian/Middle Eastern: 5
Hispanic: 1
Interracial: 1

Authors' Country of Origin (where they spent their formative years)
USA: 19
Canada: 7
Dominican Republic: 1

Dominica: 1
England: 18

Ireland: 3
Wales: 1
Sweden: 1
Russia: 1
India: 2
China: 1
Japan: 1
Australia: 1

DON'T LOOK AT THE RACE/ETHNICITY CATEGORY.  Man, is that embarrassing.  I actually really did not think that my reading choices were so...white.  I have books by black authors on my shelves but have not read a single one in the last two years.  I believe myself to enjoy postcolonial literature, but have barely ventured outside of English-speaking countries (reading-wise) in two years of reading.  Ouch.

And where did all of those 21st century books come from?  I legitimately believed that I rarely read books from this century, and they are dominating the list!  That doesn't bother me so much as surprise me.  Also, isn't is weird that I've read more books from the 19th century than the early 20th?  Strange.

I'm happy to report that the sex of the authors I read is pretty well balanced and just amused at how few
non-fiction books I've read (one of which I'm still in the process of reading).  I need to work on my diversity though, if only to make myself feel better about it (and also broaden my perspective and be more well-rounded and whatnot).  I think I'll keep up with the spreadsheet that I made (okay, my husband did most of the work) and report back in a year's time.

Happy Mother's Day to the moms, Happy Birthday to my husband, and Happy Blog Anniversary to me!  Have a great day all!

4 comments:

  1. First of all, congrats! But second of all, you've read a book by an author who grew up in Dominica? I must know who that is. I'm a big lover of Caribbeana and I don't think I've ever read a book from somebody who hails from that beautiful-but-little-known island. Would you please-pretty-please leave me a comment on my blog to let me know?

    Also, I love it when people do stats like this for the books they've read. I'm always tempted by the idea but then I think it looks like it takes too much time so I never do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many, many thanks. I didn't know that Jean Rhys was from Dominica. I'd read Wide Sargasso Sea ages ago, but apparently it predated my obsession with Caribbean fiction/writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blog Anniversary!!

    Love your stats and congrats on getting the female to male ratio so close. I didn't realize how modern and white my reading was until I actually started tracking it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary!!

    I'm surprised as well that you haven't read any black lit in the last two years! But it's easy to miss if you're reading a lot of newer titles (which it looks like is also true?) along with classics.

    Get on some classic black lit, girl! I suggest starting with Parable of the Sower maybe since you like Atwood.

    ReplyDelete