Monday, May 7, 2012

Meatless Monday ~ TBLAT's

Meatless Monday is a movement to get Americans to eat less meat and more veggies through the simple expedient of not eating any animal products one day a week.  It's a great way to segue into vegetarianism or even veganism, or just make a small but real difference in your health and the environment.  To that end, on Meatless Mondays here at Soy Chai Bookshelf I will talk about anything related to food and vegetarianism, from cookbook reviews to to recipes I've created (don't hold your breath) to bragging about the delicious vegetarian feast I just whipped up to discussing in a (hopefully) not-too-judgemental way why vegetarianism is a great choice.  I would also love to host guest posters on the topic, so if you're interested in being featured, send me an e-mail at jlmarck at gmail dot com.

It has been a very long time since I've had a Meatless Monday post on the blog.  So long, in fact, that I completely forgot about it and posted a book review today!  Then I saw a sign about Meatless Monday at a local sushi place (by meatless they mean full of fish) and I decided to share a quick and easy recipe with you in honor of the day.

TBLAT stands for Tempeh Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado and Tomato.  It's a delicious, vegan, and healthy slant on the BLT and is ridiculously good.  My pig bacon-loving husband adores this sandwich, and for good reason.  Tempeh bacon combined with creamy avocado makes your taste buds dance, and it's easy to throw together, so you can have it any night of the week.

For each sandwich, you need:

2 slices of regular ol' sandwich bread
a good slather of Vegenaise (it's just as good as Hellman's, I promise!)
1/2 an avocado, sliced
1/3 - 1/2 pkg Lightlife Fakin' Bacon, cut in half
1 slice of tomato
handful of lettuce (or spinach or spring mix or whatever you've got)

Fry up your Fakin' Bacon in a touch of oil.   Meanwhile, toast your bread and slather it with Vegenaise.   Top with everything else and prepare to wow those taste buds! 

Simple, easy, vegan, and delicious.  Does it get any better?
If eating alone, enjoy with a good book.
Just don't get avocado on the pages.

1 comment: