Monday, March 12, 2012

I may have a problem

So remember how I gushed on an on about my new literary obsession?  That quickly turned into me racing through Sister Queens, a biography of Katherine of Aragon (AKA Henry VIII's first wife) and her sister, Juana of Castile (AKA that supposedly crazy queen who was locked away by her husband, father, and son), as well as plans for reading Shakespeare's Henry VIII.  Today, I took a trip to Barnes & Noble, and discovered Elizabeth and Mary, which I assumed was about Henry's two daughters who become queens, and immediately began to salivate.  I rushed home to order a cheap copy from Abebooks, and belatedly realized (thanks to the rather obvious caption) that the Mary to which the title referred was not in fact Elizabeth I's half-sister who was queen before her, but her cousin Mary Queen of Scots (who I used to always confuse with Queen Mary and may have thought were the same person).  So, needing to keep my burgeoning knowledge of lady monarchs in chronological order, I quickly found Mary Tudor, a biography of...well...Mary Tudor.  Weirdly enough, I'm fascinated by this particular monarch, because in her younger portrayals on The Tudors, she's just so cute and sweet that I need to know how she turned into the myth that made me scared to go to the bathroom at sleepovers when I was a kid.  Which obviously makes no sense because it's not like that actress is the reincarnation of the real Bloody Mary.  Or is she...

so creepy
NOT sisters

I may be spiraling out of control.  Thank goodness I'm a bargain shopper.

1 comment: