Monday, February 6, 2012

Haunted by Books

Do you ever find that books haunt you?  Books that you've never heard of before but aren't new releases, and all of a sudden they keep popping up everywhere until you feel compelled to read them just so that they will leave you alone?  It happened to me with Rebecca - until a year or so ago, I'd never heard of it, and then suddenly it was coming at me from every direction.  Fortunately, one of those directions was a library book sale, so I was able to get it and read it and put it to rest.  Oh, and I also really liked it.

It's happening to me again.  This time, the ghostie is Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.  Two weeks ago, I'd never heard of it and suddenly it's everywhere - on blogs, on lists, on lists on blogs.  It's kind of making me crazy.  I know nothing about it but I desperately want to read it (which is why advertising works so well, though I'm usually not such a sucker).

Does this ever happen to you or am I just paranoid that classics from the first half of the 20th century are following me around?

4 comments:

  1. Actually, this happened with me a few years ago with Brideshead Revisited. So I broke down, read it, and loved it.

    I'm trying to think of what other books have recently been "haunting" me this way. Lately it's been more contemporary novels, which I guess is to be expected since they're being advertised...I wouldn't have read Room or The Tiger's Wife if I didn't keep seeing mentions of them, every day, for months. I think that when I started reading Edith Wharton about a year and a half ago, though, it was because a flurry of bloggers were writing about her - I thought I'd see fewer mentions if I just read her books. It worked, and I fell in love with Wharton.

    (And, the Brideshead thing has to be because of Downton Abbey, right? I'm betting that in a month or two my reading is dominated by books about WWI or English country houses, thanks to this show.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're probably right. I'm rather out of the loop on things like this, but I do recall hearing about Downtown Abbey weeks ago, but I guess all that stuck with me was Brideshead Revisited. Yay for reasonable explanations (and positive reactions)!

      With modern novels it doesn't weird me out so much. I probably wouldn't have read Room or Water for Elephants if it wasn't for all the coverage in the book blogging world, but all of the coinciding references were really to be expected since people were writing about them while they were fresh.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this totally happens. F Scott Fitzgerald haunted more for months until I finally broke down and read The Great Gatsby. I think I could have had something to do with me watching Boardwalk Empire...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was supposed to read The Great Gatsby in high school...it never happened. One of these days... :]

      Delete