Monday, January 16, 2012

Meatless Monday ~ Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan

I haven't been posting for Meatless Monday much since I started the "weekly" installment, initially because school was going on, and more recently because I'm not that inspired to do so, which is odd because I love talking about food and vegetarianism.  I guess I'm just not very good at writing about it.  However, the inspiration has struck, and so I welcome you back to my semi-monthly chat about meat-free food.


Meatless Monday is a movement to get Americans to eat less meat and more veggies through the simple expedient of not eating any animal products one day a week.  It's a great way to segue into vegetarianism or even veganism, or just make a small but real difference in your health and the environment.  To that end, on Meatless Mondays here at Soy Chai Bookshelf I will talk about anything related to food and vegetarianism, from cookbook reviews to to recipes I've created (don't hold your breath) to bragging about the delicious vegetarian feast I just whipped up to discussing in a (hopefully) not-too-judgemental way why vegetarianism is a great choice.  I would also love to host guest posters on the topic, so if you're interested in being featured, send me an e-mail at jlmarck at gmail dot com.


Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan is one of my favorite cookbooks.  It's vegan chef Dreena Burton's third cookbook and it's just fantastic.  Contrary to what many people believe, Burton makes it clear that healthy and vegan don't have to mean boring and tasteless.  In this book, Burton gives us recipes for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, sides, sauces, hummuses galore, and a bunch of desserts, and everything I've tried has been delicious.  It's not heavy on meat and dairy substitutes, which I love, but is heavy on creativity.  For those folks with kids, Burton includes lots of kid-friendly recipes and ways of getting picky eaters to eat better, like her "Hide the Lentils" Tomato Sauce in which red lentils are cooked into pasta sauce and then pureed as though they were never there, creating yummy pasta sauce with a boost of protein and fiber.


Some of my favorite go-to recipes include:

  • Banana Pecan Rice Pudding Pie (for breakfast!)
  • Orange Sesame Tofu
  • Balsamic Maple Sauce
  • Bask-to-Basics Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • Savory French Lentils (delicious warm, over salad)
  • Bean and Corn Tortilla Lasagna with Avocado
  • Sesame Lime Soba Noodles, served with Tamari-Roasted Chickpeas
  • Simple Swiss Chard
  • Supercharge-Me! Cookies (click the link for the recipe!)
In my opinion, the recipes aren't too fussy, but if you find chopping and measuring too much work for a weeknight meal, you might want to save this cookbook for the weekend.  It has some photos of the recipes but certainly not of all; however, you could probably google nearly any recipe in it and find some blogger's rendition.

Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan is a great choice for anybody new to vegetarianism or veganism, as well as anybody who simply wants to eat a little less meat - you won't even notice that it's missing.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, I'm looking for good vegan recipes. This book looks like a good place to start. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete