Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Read Because of Another Blogger

I think I've been forgetting the
picture lately.  Oops!
Three posts in three days?!  Holy poopers!  But I assure you, my lovely readers, that it is true.  I'm back for the third day running, this time to participate in Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  Today's topic is Top Ten Books I Read Because of Another Blogger, which I love.  Since joining the blogging world, I have read a lot of things that I may not have read otherwise.  Lets see if I can make it to ten!  For your browsing pleasure, links to other blogs are to their reviews of the books.

1) Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: I can't remember a specific blogger that led me to read this.  Mostly, I just kept seeing references and reviews that made me think that I was missing out on something.  And I was!
2) Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde: So far I've read The Eyre Affair and Lost in a Good Book and it's all thanks to Ally at What Red Read.  Thanks Ally!
3) Cider House Rules by John Irving: Though I'd meant to read Irving for a while, I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it if it wasn't for Christina at The Blue Bookcase.  And it was definitely worth it!
4) Room by Emma Donoghue: Like Rebecca, this one was all over the blog world so I don't have anybody specific to thank for turning me onto it, just the book blogging in general.  Thanks all!
5) Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides: Same goes for this one which, I can now say with some lack of surety, I liked.  I think.  Maybe.  Thank you?
6) Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro: I'm not sure who I have to thank for this one, but thanks all the same.  I probably wouldn't have read it on my own, but now I'm so glad that I did.
7) Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman: I'm still in the middle of this one, all thanks to Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings who is hosting the reading group.  Great choice!

These last three are books that I have acquired because of bloggers, but that I still have yet to read:

8) The Boat by Nam Le: The rather impulsive purchase of this collection of short stories was inspired by Lucis at The Blue Bookcase.  I can't wait to read it!
9) The Balkan Trilogy by Olivia Manning: I picked up this tome thanks to Ellen at Fat Books and Thin Women.  When I have some time to devote to it (i.e. winter break), I plan to read through all three installments.
10) Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese: This one wasn't actually recommended by a book blogger. Kristen from Rage Against the Minivan (a blog about adoption and stuff and life in general) mentioned liking it once (at least I think she did - I can't find the post where she mentioned it) and I nearly forgot about it until I saw it at the library sale last month and decided to pick it up.  It sounds great and I can't wait to read it!

I made it!  And this is why the book blogging world is so great!  In the sixteen months I've been a part of it, I've been exposed to so many books that I never would have heard of or ventured to open otherwise.  Sometimes those exposures warn me away, but often they inspire me to pick up something new which, most often, I have loved!  What books has the book blogging world inspired you to read??

5 comments:

  1. Aww thank you for the mention and hooray for reading Fforde!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was recommended Middlesex by the general blogging community at large too- I think I'm maybe a tad more certain about whether I liked it though (which I did. A lot.) I also read Room because it was just generally over the whole world, including the blogs- so glad I did!
    My top ten is here if you'd like to see it http://devouringtexts.blogspot.com/2011/09/top-ten-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first six books are one I've either read or am going to read. I don't remember where all the recommendations came from, but there they are. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde and I'm glad you discovered them.

    Grace at Feeding My Book Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could list many books acquired because of other bloggers, but I had a harder time with books I had read. Blogging has really overflowed my bookshelves.

    Check out my list at The Scarlet Letter.

    ReplyDelete