Monday, September 12, 2011

Meatless Monday ~ Vegetarian Blogs and Resources

So it's only my third installment of Meatless Monday, and I already managed to forget about it.  Oops!  I walked in the door after getting back from my internship, and said "Oh crap, it's Monday."  But never fear, my veggie-munching pals, I still have veggie stuffs for you to read and enjoy!


Meatless Monday is a movement to get Americans to eat less meat and more veggies by the simple expedient of not eating any animal products one day a week.  It's a great way to segue into vegetarianism or even veganism, or just make a small but real difference in your health and the environment.  To that end, on Meatless Mondays here at Soy Chai Bookshelf I will talk about anything related to food and vegetarianism, from cookbook reviews to to recipes I've created (don't hold your breath) to bragging about the delicious vegetarian feast I just whipped up to discussing in a (hopefully) not-too-judgemental way why vegetarianism is a great choice.


Today I'm going to share with you some of my favorite vegetarian blogs and resources for the web.  For any veggie converts like myself, making the change can be very difficult.  I come from a meat-loving family who, apart from my sister, would never even consider dropping meat from their diet.  My sister was vegetarian for a bit, but converted to eating fish, then chicken, then the whole animal kingdom, though she still identifies with me and loves vegetarian food.  My friends like their meat and though they are supportive of me, it can be very difficult just to find somebody to talk to or whose experiences you can relate to.  Thus, reason number 28593267 (thank you random finger mash) that the internet is awesome: other vegans and vegetarians use it too!  And never fear - you need not be vegan or vegetarian to participate in this community - aspiring veg-heads and people who just want to make a positive difference in the lives, the environment, and/or the lives of animals and other humans are welcome as well!


I tend to go in and out of phases of what blogs I read fanatically, but here are some that have been on my list for a long time because they're just so darned great!


101 Cookbooks - I can't say enough good things about this blog.  Heidi posts so many amazing recipes and though she's heavy on dairy and eggs, there's plenty for vegans to enjoy as well.  She posts recipes that she's found in cookbooks (with permission!) as well as the multitudes of delicious dishes that she creates herself.  She often combines unexpected ingredients and flavors, but I have yet to make something of hers that wasn't absolutely wonderful.  I recently received Heidi's new cookbook, Super Natural Every Day, and can't wait to plumb the delicious depths of what it has to offer (and then tell you about it!).


Oh She Glows - Angela is pretty much the vegan equivalent of Heidi.  Okay, not exactly, but like Heidi, Angela posts lots of great recipes, nearly all of which I adore.  She also discusses her transition into veganism, and other things she gets involved in, like photography and gardening.  Angela seems like a really sweet person, and her blog is definitely worth a visit.  She doesn't have a cookbook out yet, but I would definitely pick it up if/when she writes it!


Post Punk Kitchen - This blog and vegetarian resource was created by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, one of the authors of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World as well as some other amazing cookbooks that you will see reviewed here.  It contains recipes, advice, discussion boards, and some other stuff too!  It's a definite stop for anybody pursuing a vegan lifestyle, but great for the lacto-ovo-vegetarians out there as well!


Eat, Drink & Be Vegan* - Named for her absolutely amazing cookbook, Dreena Burton's blog is a great stop for anyone interested in healthy, animal-free, child-friendly cooking.  Dreena blogs about her food and her kids, and offers up some great recipes to boot.  I can't wait to review the cookbook of the same name, because it is just fantastic!


The Chubby Vegetarian - While all of the blogs I've listed prove that vegetarian and vegan foods can and should be delicious, The Chubby Vegetarian shows that they can be decadent as well.  Though I haven't made all that many of his recipes (some have a lot of steps) I love just to look at his yummy concoctions.  And don't worry - what I have made is indeed yumilicious, so you won't be wasting your time!


craigslist's Vegan Forum - This forum is great for anybody who wants to talk vegetables.  It is much more populated than the vegetarian forum, and is filled with veteran veggies who are always willing to share their experiences and advice.  It's a great place to go when your mom refuses to leave the bacon out of the potato salad, or when your brother-in-law just won't stop asking where you get your protein.  Just avoid the trolls - they feed off of ill-will like we do off of vegan mashed potatoes.


The above is just a tiny sampling of the online vegan/vegetarian community.  There's a lot more out there, including ones that I read - I just chose to post about my very favorites.  What are your favorite online vegan and vegetarian blogs and resources??  I'd love to expand my reading list!


*I can't help mentioning how much the lack of an Oxford comma in this title bothers me.  But don't let it stop you - punctuation in no way predicts deliciousness.

3 comments:

  1. I like It Ain't Meat, Babe. I am not vegetarian or vegan, but I have tenuous relationship to meat and never cook it. But I am also very picky so I stress about food. Thanks for the great links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list!! I found a bunch of new awesome veg blogs to follow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My very favourite vegan blog is The Gluttonous Vegan (http://www.thegluttonousvegan.com) because its author is adorable, and has some of the yummiest desserts ever on there. Thanks for the links though- some new ones to me there so I'll be sure to check them out!

    ReplyDelete