Monday, September 19, 2011

Meatless Monday ~ Chilly Morning Breakfast

Uh-oh.  It's Meatless Monday again?  I'm awfully bad at this regular weekly post thingamajig.  That's okay though, since today I'm giving you a breakfast recipe which means one of two things: something for you to dream about all night or something yummy to wake up to.  Well, an idea of something yummy to wake up to at least.

Meatless Monday is a movement to get Americans to eat less meat and more veggies by the simple expedient of not eating any animal products one day a week.  It's a great way to segue into vegetarianism or even veganism, or just make a small but real difference in your health and the environment.  To that end, on Meatless Mondays here at Soy Chai Bookshelf I will talk about anything related to food and vegetarianism, from cookbook reviews to to recipes I've created (don't hold your breath) to bragging about the delicious vegetarian feast I just whipped up to discussing in a (hopefully) not-too-judgemental way why vegetarianism is a great choice.


With the weather turning chilly, I've been returning to my favorite winter breakfast: it's vegan, it's filling, it's yummy, it's OATMEAL!  Okay, I know it doesn't sound all that exciting, but my version of it really is delicious.  Plus, I like to think of it as a time-release meal - it contains simple sugars, complex carbs, proteins, and fats, so you keep metabolizing it all morning and it keeps you going straight through until lunch.  Plus, there's a butt-load (literally - teehee, poop) of fiber to keep your tummy feeling satisfied.  Oh, and it takes less than ten minutes to prepare, and it only takes that long if you're really sleepy.  For all of those people who think that vegetarians and vegans are weak and lacking in energy, I give you the power of oatmeal.


Jennifer's Super-Duper Chilly Morning Oats
(I just thought of that title on the spot - are you impressed?!)


Ingredients:
1 cup almond milk (plus 1 tbsp if using raisins)
1 tbsp raisins (if'n you want - sometimes I'm not in the mood)
1/2 cup oat (not instant)
1 banana
peanut butter
agave or maple syrup (or brown sugar for you traditionalists)
cinnamon

Put your almond milk (and raisins if using) in a pot and bring to a boil.  Watch it, because almond milk likes to foam up faster than you can say "scrumdiddlyumptious."  Add the oats, lower heat to medium, and cook for five minutes.  Microwave your banana for one minute (in your serving bowl, because who wants to wash extra dishes?) and add it to the oats while they cook.  Stir 'em up really well and dump the whole mess back into your bowl.  Top it all with a (very) generous spoonful of peanut butter, a drizzle of agave, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  Enjoy!

The peanut butter gets all melty, so you can smooth it over the top of your oatmeal and have a bit with every mouthful.  Yum!!

2 comments:

  1. I've been going through an oatmeal phase (my life is so exciting) and this sounds awesome. I will definitely have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lot like one of my "inventions" - same thing, just 1/3 c. oats, mush up a banana and cook it with the oats, add brown sugar & pb while it's cooking. maybe the best meal ever. i like the raisin addition, i'll have to try that next time i make oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete