Monday, September 5, 2011

Meatless Monday ~ Blossom du Jour

Happy Labor Day, my little vegetarians!  I hope your Labor Day will contain as much meatless merriment as mine!  As today is my birth-holiday, I will be trekking down to the local park for some vegetable-based barbecuing, illicit sangria FRUIT PUNCH, frisbee-playing, and general frivolity.  But that's not what this post is about.  This post is about the deliciousness that is Blossom du Jour, because today is, yet again, Meatless Monday!

Meatless Monday is a movement to get Americans to eat less meat and more veggies by the simple expedient of not eating any animal products one day a week.  It's a great way to segue into vegetarianism or even veganism, or just make a small but real difference in your health and the environment.  To that end, on Meatless Mondays here at Soy Chai Bookshelf I will talk about anything related to food and vegetarianism, from cookbook reviews to to recipes I've created (don't hold your breath) to bragging about the delicious vegetarian feast I just whipped up to discussing in a (hopefully) not-too-judgemental way why vegetarianism is a great choice.

Last Wednesday, the husband and I took the train into New York to go see Cirque du Soleil's new show, Zarkana, and to eat copious amounts of delicious food.  To get it out of the way now - Zarkana was amazing.  Neither of us could follow the storyline at all, but it didn't matter because did you know that people could do those things?  There were amazing jugglery, ropeless acrobatics, a twisty guy on a slippery floor, and semi-mute silliness.  It was great.

But let me backtrack.  Before going to the cruelty-free (see, I'm not too far off-topic) circus, we had lunch.  Blossom du Jour is one of the many recent offsprings of Blossom, a popular vegan restaurant.  I've never been to Blossom, but I'm sure that it's amazing because its mini-me is.  Blossom du Jour is primarily a take-out place, though it has a few feet of counter-and-stool space (but no bathroom - plan ahead if you plan to eat in).  It serves sandwiches, salads, wraps, and juices.  It also features a continuous video of the animals at a Farm Life Sanctuary (not sure which one, sorry).  I must say, there's something very satisfying about watching frolicking farm life with the assurance that it will not be making an appearance in my sandwich.

Sloppy Joe Slides - there were originally three,
but I couldn't get the camera out in time!
As for the food: the husband ordered a Sloppy Joe Sliders, which he declared to be meaty, indistinguishable from the original, and generally yummy (my word, not his).  Or, in his words, "remarkable loyal to the flavor and texture I remember from when I was a kid."  I had a bite and it tasted quite authentic.  As an omnivore, I was never really a fan of Sloppy Joes, so I wasn't too effusive about the sandwich, but it's definitely a great choice for sloppy joe fans.  I ordered the Midtown Melt, which the menu describes as "cajun-spiced seitan, v-cheese, agave guacamole, lettuce, chipotle aioli."  And oh man, was this delicious.  I devoured it and even though I was stuffed (yes, the servings are more than sufficient without being gluttonous) , wished I had more.  The husband liked it as well, and was very jealous when he discovered that I had guacamole and he didn't (bwahaha!).  The whole thing cost about $20, which is quite reasonable for lunch in the city, especially one as delicious and lovingly-prepared as this one.

Midtown Melt - I took this pictures while clutching
the other half of the sandwich in my other hand!
Blossom du Jour is a definite stop for anybody who likes good food on the go in New York, not just the vegetarians and vegans.  Check it out - you won't be disappointed.  And, if you have enough room left and don't need to run to the nearest Starbucks to use the restroom, Cocoa V, the organic and fair-trade chocolateering fraternal twin of BDJ, is right next door.  I didn't get to try it, due to the aforementioned need to run, but I did press my forehead to the glass and it looked amazing.

Happy Labor Day, my lovely readers, and if you find yourself in Manhattan, be sure to check out the yumminess that is Blossom.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Reading about this restaurant is getting me excited for the day I can visit vegetarian restaurants again (rather than just ordering salad, salad, salad). Hope you have a great labor day/birth day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is late but Happy Birthday! Blossom du Jour looks intriguing though I'm not sure I could convince Boyfriend to eat at a vegan place. But I'd be willing to give it a try. We were actually in Manhattan yesterday and did go to a vegetarian dessert place, The Soft Serve Fruit Co. Soft serve fruit sorbet with a bunch of topping options. It was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw thanks! You're actually both early - Labor Day's my birth-holiday but tomorrow's my actual birthday. That whole first-Monday thing means that my birthday and birth-holiday rarely actually fall on the same day.

    It took some doing with my husband, but he has admitted on multiple occasions that eating vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean not eating as well as omnivores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK well then my birthday wishes are now right on time :) Boyfriend will eat vegetarian/vegan things but I think it's just convincing him to try a place where that's his only option will be the challenge. Those pics look so tasty though, I might be able to convince him to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete