Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Top Ten Texts Tackling Tough Topics

Bwahahaha, alliteration.  That's right, it's my first Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) in quite a while (though I still have a draft for last week's in my blog folder).  Does this mean I'm going to start posting regularly again?  I certainly hope so.  So here goes my top ten tough texts, in no particular order.

1. The Cider House Rules by John Irving: Irving tackles abortion in this tome and does an amazing job of it.  He's not preachy (though one of his characters can be), though he is a bit graphic.  In the end, he manages to sway opinions (like mine), which is amazing for a work of literature that doesn't put an agenda at it's forefront (though maybe it's the more effective for that reason).
2. Speak by Laurie Anderson: I haven't read this since high school, but I remember thinking that it was amazing (and then being astonished when I enter the book-blogging world and discovering that not only had others read it, but many had banned it as well).  This speaks not just to issues of date-rape, but loneliness as well.  For that kid that just can't fit in, Speak is a voice of hope and a reminder that you are not alone.
3. The Color Purple by Alice Walker: Celie manages to not just rise above rape and incest, of which she was a victim at a very young age, but race and sex as well, finding her own economic and sexual independence.  Heart-breaking and hopeful, all rolled into one slightly messy (in a good way) package.
4. Room by Emma Donoghue: Though at it's forefront Room is about a woman, who was kidnapped and held for sex as a college student, and the son she got from that experience, it's really about a mother and her child.  Donoghue brings beauty to the ugliest of experiences.
5. Still Alice by Alice Genova: This is an extraordinary look at Alzheimer's disease, told through the lens of a middle-aged woman who has been diagnosed with an early-onset form of the disease.  Though this is not the most amazing piece of literature I've ever experience, in terms of emotional effect it is incredible.  I highly recommend this for anybody who is suffering with or has lost anybody to that terrible disease.

So five is all I can come up with at the moment.  What books do you find to tackle difficult subjects well?

1 comment:

  1. Still Alice is an ultimate favourite, love it. Speak is on my list also.


    My Top Ten

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-ten-books-that-tackle-tough-issues.html

    ReplyDelete