Thursday, July 14, 2011

The End is Nigh (with recipe!)


With the eighth and final film installment of the Harry Potter series coming in just a few short hours (although there are still enough hours between now and then that I really should be asleep right now), I feel as though a few words are necessary.  Harry has been with me for half my life, has seen me through my tumultuous and lonely middle school years, my not-quite-fitting-in (but not lacking in confidence) high school years, two undergraduate schools, marriage, and many jogs that I would have quit sooner if it wasn't for the inventions of the audiobook and the mp3.  Suffice it to say that he has grown with me, and I with him.

When the book series ended, I was hysterical.  Partially due to the sadness of some of the content, yes, but partially due to the sadness of ending as well.  At that point, I was just finishing a gap year and transferring to a new school; it was a time of transition and, silly as it may seem, my beloved series ending made it all the harder for me.  Unlike many others' and even unlike my own treatment of earlier installments, I didn't race through that book.  Despite my mother's incessant phone calls - Are you done yet?  Hurry up! - I made my way slowly through the marshes and the countryside and the terror and the elation, alongside my three friends, putting off the final moment that I, like them, anticipated and dreaded.  The moment when I would have to move on couldn't come too slowly.  Come it did, and I was weepy for days (embarrassingly enough).  A (not very) little piece of my adolescence was making it's final trip to the shelf (though it still comes back for visits!).

I was going to analyze what I love so much about Harry Potter, but I think I'll skip that.  There are times to be cerebral and critical and analytical, and there are times to just enjoy.  Sixteen hours before the release of the final film adaptation of a series that has been with me for so long is a time to just enjoy.  That, and bake pumpkin pasties.

I hope everybody who cares enjoys the movie, whether you see it tonight or next week or not until it comes out on DVD.  How has Harry impacted your life?

I used chocolate mousse for the one on the left,
which was a good idea.
Pumpkin Pasties (adapted from here)

You need:
1 batch of pumpkin pie filling (whatever recipe you like)
2 unbaked pie crusts (store-bought or homemade - I used this recipe)

You do:
-Bake pie filling in a greased casserole dish at 350f for 40-50 minutes, until a fork comes out clean.  Let cool.
-Roll out your pie crusts and cut into four-inch rounds.  DO NOT REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT.  -This greatly increases the risk of crackage (as I just, and unfortunately, learned - that picture is of the first and best two I made).
-Deposit about 2 tsp of filling on one side of the circle and fold over into a half moon.  Use a fork to crimp edge of dough.  Again, too long of crimps increases rick of crackage, so just do as much as you have to to seal it.
-Now, if your pasties haven't already sprouted cracks of their own accord, use a sharp knife to make three slits in the top of each.  Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet (I used a Silpat) in a 400f oven for about 20 minutes or just until browned.
-Let cool.
-Slip into plastic bags.
-Sneak into theatre.
-Munch and enjoy.
-Okay, those last three instructions are optional, but highly recommended.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet post! I've been reading a lot of tributes to HP today and it makes me sad, too. I didn't grow up with them--I was already grown up when they were first published--but I felt an extreme loss after finishing HP7, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so depressed about the final film. I have plans to see it tomorrow, but I almost cannot believe it, and I'll be bawling my eyes out.

    I just picked up Game of Thrones by George RR Martin, and I am sufficiently swept up in the story, so it's very comforting to know that since I only started book 2 the other day, I have many more to go in the series, not to mention the HBO series is excellent. It won't replace Harry Potter and the snug love I have for that story, though.

    ReplyDelete