Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Top Ten Minor Characters


So I'm a day late on this again, but that's life.  I actually started this post a couple of days ago but I've been finding it surprisingly difficult to choose my Top Ten Minor Characters (the topic of this week's Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish).  I've also been looking at other people's lists and finding some choices that I find odd, which then led me to wonder what a minor character really is.  Is it somebody whose purpose in the overall plot is minimal (in which case I wonder why he/she is there)?  Somebody who's only a mentioned a certain number of times (but does that necessitate a lack of influence?)?  Somebody put Boo Radley on the list, which I found astounding.  Boo Radley is a minor character?  But he's the object of much discussion, a motivator to action, a misunderstood man who can tell us about ourselves, a hero...  Is that minor?  So I have no idea what a minor character is and this is all I've been able to come up with:


1. Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter: Is she really minor?  She appears in all seven books, is this sister of a major character, fights Death Eaters, is possessed by Voldemort, and is Harry's main (though delayed) love interest.  No idea, but I choose her because she's fiery, independent, strong, and patient.
2. Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter: Again, is Luna minor?  She first appears in Order of the Phoenix, but has a significant role there in not only fighting the Death Eaters, but helping drag a damaged Ginny and delirious Ron (major character!) to safety.  The link to her father compels major action on the part of the main character, Harry, who gives an unapproved interview under the very nose of the ministry, and compelling him to pay a visit in the final book that nearly kills him.  Is this minor influence?  I chose Luna because she's dreamy, loyal, open-minded, and just seems like she would be great to have around (and for more than just comedic value).
3. The Troubadour from Gilmore Girls: Okay, this isn't a book but this list was hard for me and I can say for certain that the Troubadour is a minor character.  I chose him because whenever the camera highlights him playing his music, I always shout, "I love him, he's my favorite!", much to my friends' annoyance.

Okay, so this was the worst Top Ten Tuesday at Soy Chai Bookshelf ever.  More like Top Three Wednesday.  What are your favorite minor characters?  And how do you define that term?

1 comment:

  1. OMG I loooove the Troubadour from Gilmore Girls; YES YES YES!! Those are the types of minor characters I love!

    ReplyDelete