Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Happy Short Story Month!

I know I'm a few days late on this, but apparently it's Short Story Month!  I had no idea that this even existed, though I probably should have guessed as there are months and days for pretty much everything (I once asked my mom, around Mother's Day, why there isn't a "Kid's Day"; she told me that every day is kid's day).  I'm not sure if there is any sort of official way to celebrate short stories, but I assume that reading them and talking about them should probably do the trick.  This comes at a most convenient time, as I have recently embarked on a 900-page novel and could use the occasional break from it (and the kick in the butt to keep blogging).

So the next months will be full of reviews, thoughts, and all manner of short story goodness.  Let's kick it off by sharing our favorite short stories.  Mine is "The Diamond Mine" by Nadine Gordimer, though other favorite short story authors include Alice Munro, Jhumpa Lahiri, Shirley Jackson, Raymond Carver, and John Updike.  What are your favorite short stories and short story authors?  Or maybe you don't like short stories.  Why not?

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this before! I love a lot of the same authors you've mentioned--Alice Munro, Shirley Jackson, Raymond Carver. I'm also a sucker for Sherlock Holmes stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. someone asked in my blog comments what my favorite short story is and...i'm not quite sure, but i'd put hemingway's "indian camp" and kelly link's "the faery handbag" at the top of the list. i don't think i've read any stories by munro, carver or updike, but i guess this is a good month to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite short story would be either Kafka's The Judgement or Salinger's For Esmé.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would think that I, of all people, would know it was Short Story Month. I'm going to use this to motivate me to a) catch up on my short story reading (a story a day, you know!) and b) actually get a story written!

    ReplyDelete