Friday, April 8, 2011

Bookalicious

Yes, it's been another long week of me saying nada.  My excuse this time is rather embarrassing: it's taken me a week to read The Turn of the Screw.  Correction: it's taking me at least a week, since I still haven't finished.  Why?  Well, because I thought that ghost stories were supposed to be scary.  And, you know, feature ghosts.

Anywho, despite my pathetic page count from the last seven days, there has been some bookish activity in these parts.  In the past week I've purchase five, count'em five new (to me) books.  Yeah, yeah, doesn't sound like much, except when you consider that that's at least as many books as I've purchased in the last year due to post-college poverty, my excessive to-be-read pile, and my occasional and new-found use of the library.  Feast your eyes, my bookish friends.

Sorry for the glare!  I tried as hard as one can without actually moving.

The top three don't look new, I know, due to the fact that they're used (duh).  The "thrift" stickers probably tipped you off to that (they had better come off cleanly).  The bottom two are actually new to the world and are thanks to an unwanted $25 Barnes & Noble gift card that my mother sold to me at the low, low price of $15 (I introduced her to the library too and she took to it like a donkey eating a waffle*, which I combined with a friend's 30% employee discount.

Anywho, the goods (from top to bottom):

1. The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling: I know very little about this book and I bought it completely on a whim.  Abebooks (where I bought this and the next two titles) sent me an e-mail about Steampunk literature and as soon as I saw the word "Victorian," I was sold.  I am a little bit disappointed though: I hadn't realized that this was a mass-market paper.  I prefer trade, and due to being mass-market this shows the wear a little more, but it was under $4 including shipping so who am I to complain?
2. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde: This was only slightly less whim-like than the above.  Red at What Red Read mentioned it and since it sounds like a bibliophile's wet dream (it's a literary mystery [literally] in which characters are kidnapped out of books), I was sold on the spot.  Again, less than $4?  Why not?!
3. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro: I probably don't have to explain this, though I do have the added reason of needing a 21st century classic for my Reading the Classics challenge.  Judging by the hype and the fact that it's actually literary, I'm thinking this might fit the bill.
4. Party Vegan by Robin Robertson: I have been ogling this book for months (I even went so far as to copy a recipe out of it once...shhh!  At least I finally bought it!) and have been desperately desiring a new cookbook and I finally had the excuse I needed.  YAY!  This book consists of 24 menus for variously themed parties, along with substitutions and suggested additions and oh man I think I just wet myself.  In case you are unaware, I love feeding people and I love dinner parties.  (To clarify, I am technically a vegetarian though I prefer to cook vegan 97.39% of the time.  The other 2.61% of the time, I crave eggs.  And then there's ice cream...)
5. Gramatically Correct by Anne Stilman: So French people really super-duper extra know their language to the point where the living statues in Parisian parks have no trouble correcting your grammar (which by the way is super stressful), while Americans know little about the English language except how to butcher it.  This is not a good thing.  Combine that awareness with the fact that I tutors kids in reading and writing and am constantly trying to find new ways to explain what a past participle is and why you can't say "My friend baked a cake and they really liked it" (are you really surprised to hear that most of my examples include cooking and/or eating?) and you might begin to understand why I want to read a grammar book for fun.  I also like grammar and correcting people's grammar and now I'll be so much more obnoxious better at it!

This post may be far too long for what it is but oh well.  At least you weren't once my roommate and thus subjected to repeated displays of how pretty my new textbooks were (except for you, Robin).

*That image comes to us from my husband and whoever he stole it from.  I certainly would not want to steal credit.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read your thoughts on The Eyre Affair! And the others too are new to me and look really interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete