Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Top Ten Film Adaptations

Two posts in two days?!  Holy poopers!  Yes indeedy, it's true.  I'm back for the second day in a row, this time for Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is best book to movie adaptations.  And off we go!

1. The Hours: I loved the book and I loved the film.  It really captures the essence of the book, being true to it while making changes, additions, and cuts appropriate to the change in medium, which I think is important in film versions.

2. Wuthering Heights (2009): Faithful and disturbing... click the link for my review!

3. Matilda - I probably wouldn't have thought of this on my own, but I saw it on Lucia's list over at The Blue Bookcase and knew I had to include it in mine.  The movie is fun and does the book justice.  And it doesn't even lose its charm when watching it over and over and over with my adorable nieces.  Plus, who doesn't love a book/movie about a child bibliophile?  Certainly not a former child bibliophile.

4. Girl Interrupted: I actually liked the film better than the book!  I know, blasphemy.  Maybe that's because I saw the film first or maybe because Susanna Kaysen's writing lacks a certain something.  I don't know, but I love the movie and am only so-so about the book.

5. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: Okay, so I don't think that any of the Harry Potter films are fantastic, but as a Harry Potter freak and a top ten blogger who's not going to make it to ten, I knew that I had to include a Harry Potter movie.  Most people don't find this as great as I do, and admittedly it leaves out a lot, but I love how it's simultaneously dark and hilarious.  It's a go-to movie for me.

6. Alice in Wonderland (1985 and 1999): Okay, so now I'm just reading other top ten lists to steal stuff for my own.  This one and the next were inspired by What Red Read; however, I'm not choosing the Disney version here (I do not like it).  These are both live-action versions; the 1985 version my family taped before I can remember, possibly before I was born (in 1987, if you're keeping track) and includes Through the Looking Glass as well.  I used to watch it over and over, though I haven't seen it in years.  The 1999 version I randomly picked up a few years ago and fell in love with.  It's very trippy, but so's the book!

7. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: I loved the Gene Wilder version until this one came out.  Tim Burton's (obviously intended) awkwardness and brusqueness as Willy Wonka adds a certain something that Gene Wilder's initial pleasantry can't hope to master.

Okay, I'm out.  I don't watch that many movies and let's face it, most film adaptations suck.  What are your favorite book-to-film adaptations?

2 comments:

  1. I was surprised there were as many good movies-from-books this week--I've forgotten about several that I would have otherwise included on my list. My favorite HP adaptation was PofA, which made it to my Top Ten but otherwise you and I have no overlap on our lists. Here's mine:
    http://asthecrowefliesandreads.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-ten-tuesdays-book-to-movie.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you and I have some of the same books but like the different adaptations! It's so great that one piece of lit can spawn so many different film versions. Also thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete