Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I'd Read as a Kid

It's time for another week of Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish, and though I haven't participated in a few weeks I couldn't pass up this week's topic: Top Ten Books I Wish I'd Read as a Kid.  I read a lot of great books as a kid, but there are a few that I never got around to or have heard of since that I wish I had read when I was still a young'un.  I could only come up with six, but I'm sure there are more.


1. The Lorax by Dr. Seuss: I first read this when my high school English class trekked over to the nearby elementary school to read books to kids.  I loved it - a Seussian universe concerned with environmentalism?  Yes, please!
2. The Giver by Lois Lowry: So many people I knew read and loved this that it makes me feel as though I missed out on something.
3. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis: I remember my (fourth-grade?) teacher reading us The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but most of what I remember about it is from the movie.  One of these days I plan on reading them all.
4. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson: The only reason I have for this choice is that I remember a copy of this sitting on the shelf of my basement playroom's closet for years and always thinking that it was a "boy's book."  I loved my Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley High books, but I wish that I'd ventured beyond them.
5. The Little House on the Praire, etc., by Laura Ingalls Wilder: I read one or two of these but had a hard time getting into the series and barely remember them.  I really loved the semi-fictional spinoff series about Laura's daughter, Rose, but really wish that I had also read the originals.
6. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes: Same reason as The Giver - I always felt as though I was missing out on something, though I don't know why I never corrected that.

What books do you regret having missed out on?

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the Giver! I've never read it but so many people seem to love it so much I wish I knew what all the fuss was about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-10-best-debut-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowers for Algernon is a good one! I really wish I'd read that when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    I read The Giver "just because" when I was younger, but it seems to be an assigned book in many schools. Perhaps that's the reason it seems so popular?

    But I read Flowers for Algernon in college and don't think it's one of those books you need to read within a certain "window" to appreciate properly. Any time you feel ready for it, it will be great for you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matilda by Robert Dahl-my 12 year old daughter has been in love with it, and the movie, for 5 years now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks. I read The Giver when I was in grade school, but it didn't have a big impact on me. I can't even remember anything about it. Maybe it's time for a re-read. :)

    ReplyDelete