Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year 2011!

I've been a little absent from the blogging world (both reading and writing) for a while now, but I'm not gone!  I've just been super-busy, what with my first Christmas in Wisconsin, being snowed out of New Jersey, a belated New Jersey Christmas, visiting nieces, and a New Years gathering I hosted and only beat my guests to by about twenty minutes (I still pulled off a batch of cupcakes and Mexican layer dip).  Despite my initial stress about said gathering, it was probably one of my most fun New Year's Eves ever - it's never been a holiday I've really understood but we played board games and I ate maraschino cherries and it was great.

So Happy New Years!  A little cheerier than the Merry Christmas I wished you a few days ago.

2010 was probably the best and worst year of my life.  I married my best friend and graduated from college with a pile of honors and a partially completed collection of short stories.  I also discovered that nobody gives a crap about my honors and short stories and watched our savings slowly dwindle away.  My third niece was also born, and she's chubby and has a beautiful smile and smells wonderful.  I still don't get to see her or her sisters (or my own sister for that matter) nearly enough.  I got to meet Margaret Atwood and all I did was stutter awkwardly.  I completed NaNoWriMo and started a blog and got a convection oven.  It was a significant year and a mundane year and a terrible year and a wonderful year.  I do hope that 2011 will be a bit better overall.

What does 2011 have in store for me?  After today, I will be working at least fourteen days straight at three different jobs, which is quite a change from the months of inactivity and unemployment I just experienced. Hopefully these jobs won't just disappear in a month or so.  I will attempt to complete a Tough Mudder race and my short story collection (my two resolutions).  I will be applying for graduate school and working with my husband to figure out the next few steps in our lives together.  I will be reading and attempting to complete the three challenges I signed myself up for.

But that's not until tomorrow.  For now, I'm just going to curl up under the beautiful afghan my mother made for me, make another dent in the 4 lb 10 oz jar of maraschino cherries Santa brought me (apparently Santa shops at BJ's), finish Rebecca, and hopefully have one last cuddle with my sister's three little girls before they board a plane for Texas.  The rest can wait.

1 comment:

  1. it's so weird and hard graduating and learning things like that, well, no one cares you got highest honors, or what you wrote your thesis on (or that you wrote a thesis at all), and that all liberal arts degrees are about equal when it comes to applying for jobs. i am kind of scared i'm in for another round of this when i come home from peace corps.

    love your goals. i am not big on new years resolutions but i can't really help myself..and writing more short stories is in my future too.

    ReplyDelete