Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday: My Favorite Authors

So as a means of putting off for yet another day any one of the three book reviews that I have lined up, I've decided to participate in my first book meme!  Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and it's exactly what it sounds like: a literary-themed top ten list appearing every Tuesday.  I discovered it this morning and ever since have been trying to line up my ten contendors and after several literary battles, including at least three eyes gouged out by wands and several smushed cupcakes, I have my list.  You'll notice that I've put them in alphabetical order because I'm compulsive and don't want to play favorites.  Er - don't want to play favorites among my favorites.  Or something.

1. Margaret AtwoodAs I recently discussed, Atwood has written so many books that I love and look forward to loving that there was no question about her joining this list.  She's a genius, extraordinarily talented, and just has an overall great mind.  My two favorites thus far are probably Oryx and Crake (review to come) and The Handmaid's Tale, though I still have much more to read by her.
2. Jane Austen- Romance, drama, happy endings, and a wicked pen.  I love it.  Need I say more?
3. The Bronte Sisters- Yes, I know that these are three different people but I've read a book by each and I love them all and really, none of them wrote that much, and by grouping them all together I get two more spots on the lists.  Deal.  Also, they are where I go when I want love and darkness and Austen just won't do.
4. Jhumpa Lahiri- Lahiri taught me that it is possible to salivate over a meal that you're merely reading about and for a secret fat kid like me, that's a big deal.  Plus she writes about India some of the time and I love reading about India.  I met her once though and she was rather unpleasant so she is staying off of my Top Ten list of people I generally like, if it's all the same to you.
5. Gabriel Garcia Marquez- I've only successfully read One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera but I love love LOVED them so much.  They're an investment in terms of time and effort but you won't be disappointed.
6. Isa Chandra Moscowitz and Terry Hope Romero- Who says I can't choose cookbook authors?!  My life would not be the same as I know it today if it wasn't for Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and for that I shall be eternally grateful.
7. J.K. Rowling- For some reason, Rowling never jumps to mind as a favorite author which is absolutely ridiculous because I have been creepily obsessed with Harry Potter for the last eleven years and I don't see an end to that anytime soon.  Maybe my inner literary snob has a block on Harry but he (my inner literary snob is a he? weird!) is just going have to deal.  I love Harry and I don't care who knows it!  Oh, and ditto the comment about Lahiri, though I've never actually met Rowling.  I just have a feeling.
8. Dr. Seuss- If I can choose cookbook authors, then I can choose kids' book authors too!  As an environmentally-conscious vegetarian, I am obsessed with The Lorax and think that every kid ever should read it.  Seriously, required reading people.  And that from somebody who first picked it up at age fifteen.  Plus Dr. Seuss in general is fun for parents and kids alike, creating a crush on literature in young'uns that is just so important. 
9. Kurt Vonnegut- It's been a while since I read Vonnegut, but he's always a good time - imaginative, hilarious, and thought-provoking.  I particularly love Galapagos and Breakfast of Champions, though I don't recommend the latter to a Vonnegut-newbie.
10. Virginia Woolf- Woolf is another author that I haven't visited in a while and whose work I haven't read enough of but the love I have for everything I've read of hers and the amount of inspiration she's given me as a writer make her more than perfect for this list.  Plus, in my freshman year of college I wrote a paper about August Carmichael from To the Lighthouse that knocked my own socks off.  

What authors are on your top ten?  Or top five?  Or top two, if you haven't read anything since the second grade?  I want to know!

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous list. I agree I was obsessed with her books, too. I should have put her on mine. Of course, Dr. Seuss. I need to read more Atwood. I've only read two and half of her books and found them so compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this list. I think I've read and loved works by all these authors. Excellent choices. :)
    I imagine you would like the kind of books we review at The Blue Bookcase.
    If you want, come by and check us out. www.thebluebookcase.blogspot.com
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a literary invalid, I find that your list to have unexcusedly omitted anything involving sports, video games, or ducks. HOW DARE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, tried listening to the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and didn't like it in that format. Just read the books in that series. If you want to listen to Alexander McCall Smith's book try 44 Scotland Street series, or Portuguese Irregular verbs. Both are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vegan Cookies are pretty awesome too! Not to mention Veganomicon...Great list....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Austen obsessed! Go Team Darcy! :D

    I like Charlotte Bronte a lot, but not so much Emily. Emily is a little too dramatic for my taste, and I like Anne's simple style better too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We share two: Margaret Atwood and Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. I almost added Jhumpa Lahiri, but decided against it at the last minute. I absolutely loved The Namesake. Looks like I'll have to keep a sharp eye on your reviews, as we have similar taste! Happy blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. I enjoyed your writing in this post more than usual. As for Dr. Seuss, I've totally given a Dr. Seuss book to my boyfriend as a gift - it's absolutely for adults too! =)

    And how can you say that about Rowling? In her interviews that I've read/seen, she always seems so personable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly, don't get her started on Rowling, it just ends with frantic wikipedia searches for JKR's wrong doings and "Aha!"s about why she finds her to be kind of a douche (though "douche" is probably not the word she would use).

    I wish I had something bookish and smart to say, but really all I could think to comment on was my amusement that Kelly has never heard about your issues with Rowling. :-)

    ReplyDelete