Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fictional Crushes?


Today is another Top Ten Tuesday over at The Broke and the Bookish and, like last week (when I didn't post at all), I'm a little stumped.  This week they're looking for our top ten fictional crushes and I have to say, it's harder than I thought it would be.  This is all I managed to come up with (in the order that they came to me):

1. Ginny Weasley (yes, from Harry Potter)
2. Fitzwilliam Darcy (duh)
3. Sawyer (from LOST)
4. Richard Alpert (also from LOST)

One's a girl (she's just so spunky!), one's predictable, and the other two aren't even from books.  Why the massive failure, you ask?

To start off with, what is a crush really?  It's an infatuation, generally on somebody that you've just met or barely even know, based on rather superficial reasons.  "She's cute" or "he reads the same books as me" or "just look at his eyes" are pretty common explanations for crushes.  It's when you get to know somebody better that  a) you stop having a crush, or b) you develop actual feelings.  Take Darcy: at first he seems like the biggest possible douche-wad.  It's only when Elizabeth actually bothers to get to know him that she realizes how amazing he really is (interesting sidenote: I thought my husband was an ass when I first met him).  Meanwhile, she's been wasting her time on George Wickham, who's cute and speaks well but turns out to be superficial, a dirty dirty liar, and basically scum.  That crush didn't really pan out so well, did it?

Poking around in some of the other responses, I found that many are from YA novels, which I don't really read much of.  I'm thinking that maybe this is easier for YA readers because YA characters are less complex and therefore easier to form a crush on.  Like Edward from Twilight: he's hot and sparkly.  Anything else?  I didn't think so, but that's enough to get you interested, is it not?  On the other hand, you have Jimmy, who is funny and seems to attract girls, but is also a bit of a dunderhead and a womanizer.  Atwood portrays him as more than a cute comedian, thus making him less crush-worthy and more interesting.  I'd much rather a complex character than one who is one-dimensional but slobber-worthy.

As for my LOST choices?  Sawyer, though massively hot, manages to be appealing on other levels.  Yeah, he can be a shit but he's also intelligent, thoughtful, loving, and always a surprise.  You like him because of his complexity not because he is without it.  Richard Alpert?  Yeah, he's just eye-candy.
Slobber.

8 comments:

  1. Yessss I -love- Sawyer! He was my favourite right from the start, I was never a Jack fan! Not only was he hot, but he had that snarky character...and the good man lurking underneath that too. Love him

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honestly in LOVE with Sawyer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had trouble with this top 10 as well and, like you, only made it to 4 and one of them was female. Also, nice analysis of what is a crush. I think the YA fans definitely had an easier time with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name of your blog! I love vanilla chai!

    I did notice that most of my fictional crushes came from YA books. Thanks for participating in this week's topic even though it gave you trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My two favorite phrases from this post: "douchewad" and "hot and sparkly." Also, your "slobber" caption. Excellent points all around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I skipped over Darcy and gave his place to Captain Wentworth from Austen's Persuasion. Wentworth continues to love Anne Elliot for long years after she refuses his proposal--an action she deeply regrets. I love the bittersweet quality of Persuasion, and the idea of the lost chance regained.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. Aren't you glad now the professor kept making you guys do icebreakers in that class? =)

    ReplyDelete