Friday, October 8, 2010

Falling for Fall

The last couple of days have made me want to sing.  Summer is gone and the rain has stopped.  Walking down the street today - wearing a light sweater and admiring the blue skies with two stuffed bag of farmers' market goodies over my arms - I caught myself asking, Does life get any better?  I'm still unemployed (for the most part) with all the anxiety that comes with that situation, but suddenly I'm finding it possible to be happy.  The future is still so uncertain but the present is, at least momentarily, perfect, and it's infectious.

For some reason, this year, I haven't been able to find much joy at the farmers' market.  They don't have quite what I want, or it's a hassle, or my delicious and seasonal honey crisp apples are spotty, or I just don't want the hassle of washing my greens, but today was just perfect.  They had exactly what I wanted (minus the red kuri squash but I received an enthusiastic recommendation for an alternative) and everyone was friendly and I didn't need apples and the green chard was beautiful.  So perfect that I had to take a picture: 
Swiss chard, red-skinned potatoes, sweet potatoes, the husband's mozzarella and garlic stuffed bread, apple cider doughnuts, and that dirty green lump at the top, a kabocha squash, a substitute for the red kuri gnocchi from Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan.  Squash are funny things.  The uglier they are, the more I love them.  Gourds too.  I love a big perfect pumpkin, but squash and gourds?  The uglier they are, the more mysterious the seem and the more I want them.  I had to stop myself from buying a bagful of the ugly, bumpy miniature gourds that people decorate with.  I figure that I can go pumpkin picking and find even better ones.

Oh, autumn.  I don't think I've ever truly appreciated you before.  Please forgive me, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment