Thursday, September 30, 2010

Eurgh.

I apologize to anybody that might be reading for my apparent abandonment of Soy Chai Bookshelf.  I have been eating, and reading as well, but due to my recent Harry Potter obsession and upsurge in things to do, coupled with my lack of desire to write book reviews while I could be reading and my kitty's recent emergency vet visit, the blog's kind of getting forgotten.



First off, the kitty.  Ralph, my baby, my little boy, who I found at about two weeks old in the middle of the street while driving home from Barnes and Noble (where I bought Lord of the Flies, hence the name), had a urinary blockage the other day.  I discovered something was wrong when I came out of my bedroom in the morning to find spots of bloody vomit (minus the chunks) all over the house.  As is to be expected, I panicked.  At first I thought that it was Turbo, because she tends to be a vomiter, but I had a feeling that it was Ralph because he'd seemed a bit off the day before.  Sure enough, after following Turbo around for a while, I discovered a fresh puddle in a place she hadn't been so I shoved Ralph in his box and took off.  After what was essentially two appointments (after the first, when they couldn't figure out what was wrong and I brought him back out to the car to find that he'd vomited all over his little paws again, I brought him back in), he finally peed some blood on the examining table and they figured out what it was.  He had to spend the rest of the day there but he recovered nicely and is back home with me.  I get the pleasure of shoving pills down his throat twice a day, which he really loves as I'm sure you can imagine.  He (and Turbo by default) will be on prescription food for the rest of his life to prevent this ever recurring, but at least he's okay.

What else is making me so busy, you ask?  Well in the past couple weeks, four potential jobs have finally gotten back to me.  I have taken one (an evening and weekend tutoring gig) and have been busy interviewing and completing assignments for the others, as well as buying new nice pants because I learned that I have grown to fat for the others.  (For anybody that knows me, no I do not think I am fat just too fat for my size twos.  And fours.  So it's a good kind of busy but between babysitting, training for the tutoring job, driving back and forth to the vet, and trying to handle job search stuff, I've been rather exhausted the past couple of days.

None of this has anything to do with the title of this blog post (no, not even my description of Ralph's chunkless vomit).  The full title would be "Eurgh.  Oh my god that's disgusting VOMIT VOMIT VOMIT," but that would just make an unnecessarily long URL and I just don't feel like going there.  The cause of this outburst is this:

Yes, that it is exactly what you think it is.  It is Lady Gaga.  In a meat dress.

Before I do on, I'd like to say that I've been on the fence about Lady Gaga.  She irritates me - media stunts aren't my thing nor are tantrums, which she has been none to throw in response to the attention that such stunts inevitable garner.  But I admit - her music is catchy.  I'd even go so far as to say that I enjoy some of it (what I've heard at least, which isn't much).  I've certainly been irritated by the media frenzy and the messages I've garnered have been so mixed that I lean towards disgust.  Well, the meat dress seals the deal.

Do I even need to explain why this disgusts me?  Probably not, but I will anyway.  Yes it disgusts me on the whole oh-my-god-she's-wearing-raw-meat-can-you-imagine-the-smell-and-what-about-ecoli level but it's much more than that.  There is so much disrespect to animals in this publicity stunt that it boggles the mind.  It's worse than wearing leather furs.  I never thought that I would defend wearing furs, but at least there's some tangible purpose to it - it keeps you warm, the animal didn't die for nothing at all, once it was a choice necessary for survival.  I shudder at the sight of fur coats or those awful fox scarf things, but in comparison to this they seem downright tame - they are used more than once, the animal (or at least its hide) isn't just tossed aside like garbage.  But this?!  This just screams disrespect and waste.  Some animal, or more than one most likely, died so that talk show hosts could have something to talk about, so that Lady Gaga could be on people's tongues once more (wow that sounded dirty).  It's a sign of dominition, of power, of not considering anything less than yourself.

In defense of her meat dress, Lady Gaga told Ellen Degeneres (a vegan, for those who don't know), that "Well, it is certainly no disrespect to anyone that is vegan or vegetarian. As you know, I am the most judgment-free human being on the earth," said Gaga. "However, it has many interpretations but for me this evening. If we don't stand up for what we believe in and if we don't fight for our rights, pretty soon we're going to have as much rights as the meat on our own bones. And, I am not a piece of meat." -source

First off, that sounds pretty judgmental to me.  Secondly, what does that mean?  Doesn't the meat on your bones have whatever rights you exercise with it?  How does wearing meat mean that you're fighting for your rights?  And how can you really be making a stand for personal freedom in anyway when so blatantly demonstrating a lack of respect for the freedom of other beings?  Seriously, if anybody can explain this to me, whether with your own interpretation or more illuminating quotes, please do.  I'm repulsed and disgusted with Lady Gaga as a person.

Interestingly, the two Lady Gaga-crazy people I know are both vegetarians.  They have yet to respond to the link I posted on Facebook, but I really want to know what they think.  Not to start a fight - I'd really just like feedback and opinions, and not just from them.

1 comment:

  1. The meat dress was gross and offensive even to an omnivore and her explanation of it was bullshit. It seemed like she decided to wear a meat dress first and thought up a "statement" behind it second. She was looking to shock people, simple as that.

    I'm glad Ralph is okay, I'd give him a hug next time I see him but I think that would greatly disturb him.

    ReplyDelete